• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi I'm new and need help!!!!

Pablospops

New Kit
Hi I've just recently bought two dwarf lops(sister Rosie and brother Pablo) for my daughter for her birthday, unfortunately Rosie passed away after just 5 days from an intestinal infection that they both had when we bought them, Pablo has been treated and is fully recovered and my little girl wants to replace Rosie, but everything I'm reading about bonding is telling me that it takes time and may not work. I need help and quickly please, thank you:thumb:

bonding does take time, and isnt always successful. Bonding is generally easier when both rabbits are spayed/neutered as well.

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

I don't have experience of bonding, but agree that is generally best to wait until after neutering.

I'm sorry you lost Rosie so soon. :(

Hi I've just recently bought two dwarf lops(sister Rosie and brother Pablo) for my daughter for her birthday, unfortunately Rosie passed away after just 5 days from an intestinal infection that they both had when we bought them, Pablo has been treated and is fully recovered and my little girl wants to replace Rosie, but everything I'm reading about bonding is telling me that it takes time and may not work. I need help and quickly please, thank you:thumb:

I don't think you need to rush to replace a rabbit, do you? You could wait until Pablo is old enough to be neutered and then choose a bunny from a rescue centre. The rabbit will be vet checked, neutered and the rescue will help you for sure with the bonding.

Win/ win situation in my eyes :D

I don't think you need to rush to replace a rabbit, do you? You could wait until Pablo is old enough to be neutered and then choose a bunny from a rescue centre. The rabbit will be vet checked, neutered and the rescue will help you for sure with the bonding.

Win/ win situation in my eyes :D

Yes this is good advice.

I'm sorry you lost Rosie :( I agree that the best thing to do would be to wait until Pablo is neutered and then find him a rescue friend :wave: they usually help with the bonding too

Thanks for the advice peeps, the only reason I'm asking is the pet shop are replacing Rosie free of charge and I'm not sure how long the offer will be available and pablos only 10wks old and our vet has said it'll be another 6 weeks before he can be neutered. I was wondering if I separated them until they were old enough for neutering would that be possible as I have a double hutch which is 5ft x 4ft and I can simply remove the stairs and cover the hole, plus our run is 6ft x 3ft and can be easily split in two with a mesh divider so they would be able to smell and see each other but not have physical contact.

Thanks for the advice peeps, the only reason I'm asking is the pet shop are replacing Rosie free of charge and I'm not sure how long the offer will be available and pablos only 10wks old and our vet has said it'll be another 6 weeks before he can be neutered. I was wondering if I separated them until they were old enough for neutering would that be possible as I have a double hutch which is 5ft x 4ft and I can simply remove the stairs and cover the hole, plus our run is 6ft x 3ft and can be easily split in two with a mesh divider so they would be able to smell and see each other but not have physical contact.

To be honest I wouldn't want to take another rabbit from a shop that sold me two poorly bunnies! It'd make me wonder what pathogens the new one might have and you could be back to square one. Even if you get given another rabbit for free you'll have to pay to get them neutered. If you pay a small fee to a rescue you will be getting a neutered and vaccinated rabbit and you'll get help with bonding. Not to mention you'll be giving a second chance in life to a rescue bunny and not encouraging the poor standards of pet shop selling.

Bonding can be very difficult. Unless you are prepared for the potential outcome of two rabbits living separately for the next ten years, I personally wouldn't risk it.

I understand whee your coming from the pet shop has an excellent record and Rosie is the first reported death within the first 12 months but you are probably right with the rescue option as both me and my wife both work long hours during the week and my girls are too young to look after the rabbits without us there. I'll talk to my daughter and explain and we will begin the search for a rescue bunny, do you have any ideas where I can get one, I've got a friend who fosters animals for the RSPCA and says they are really fussy when it comes to rehoming and we wouldn't meet their strict conditions due to our work/time commitments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With rabbits it's not so much time that's the issue (assuming you can give them enough to keep them fed, clean and health-checked of course), but more likely the accommodation. Each rescue will have different requirements though. If you let us know whereabouts in the country you are people will be able to point you in the direction of some local rescues.

i think most rescues dont have such strict time demands for rabbits if they are going to be part of a bonded pair, they are more concerned about living space and having another bunny for a companion. i definitely second what katie88 said about it being a lot cheaper to go to a rescue where for a similar cost to a rescue bunny you save the large vaccination and neutering bill. i also think its a great example to set your daughter if you rescue an unwanted rabbit.

if you let us know roughly what area you are in someone might be able to recommend a rescue near you and you could ring them and have a chat and see what they say?

ETA sorry cross posted with esupi :wave:

Oh yeah suppose that would help haha I'm from manchester
We're prepared to do almost anything for this lil fella he's had a rough time since we've had(only 3weeks) but there's a bond already with my girls when we bring him in for his meds we let him have a free run in the house where at first he would just go and find a quiet corner he now stands on his back legs has a look about then makes a beeline straight for my daughters for a stroke and play when I figure out how to I'll post a picture of him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back