• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giving advise to a new rabbit owner

EBM

Mama Doe
So I'm talking to an old school friend of mine who now lives in France. It appears he has got a young giant bunny, so I commented on his photos on facebook saying the bunny looks lovely and if he needs any advise to let me know. The person he got the rabbit from told him to add a little bit of vinegar to his water ( I said he doesn't need to do this), apparently it's too help stop him getting an upset stomach? He also said the man told him to limit his access to water as too much water intake from grass and drinking will upset his stomach. I said he should always have access to fresh water, no idea why the man told him that?
He's also been told to put some kind of oil in the rabbits ears to stop them getting infected? Anyone else heard of that before? I said if his ears are fine I wouldn't put anything in them as that might irritate them?

It's been quite a difficult conversation because his english isn't 100%. I've sent him the RWAF PDF, so hopefully he will have a read and pick up some good information. It's hard as I don't want to bombard him with information over facebook - but I will have to have some restraint! Want to sound friendly and but not really annoying!

I've heard of breeders feeding apple cider vinegar in water before as some sort of cure-all.... But there haven't been any studies done from what I've read, and personally I think it is dangerous, given how bunny guts are so complex that many vets don't understand them! I personally never add anything to water, not even meds, as I think it is important not to potentially discourage them from drinking, as it's important for them to stay hydrated.

Some people use olive oil in their and their pets' ears to soften wax. I've heard of castor oil being used too. But really, if he is healthy and does not have ear problems, then this is unnecessary. And I'd he did get waxy ears then he should see a vet really. I'm not sure if it could cause problems but generally speaking it is best not to put anything in your ears unless necessary.

Might be worth sending him a link to Tamsin's website, the page on diet with the pyramid diagram. This would probably help explain about diet better than you writing it out, as he will have the visual aid. The breeder doesn't sound like he was giving the best advice.

Excellent idea - I could practice my French!

(though in hindsight I'd probably end up saying something like "your rabbit looks like your mother" :shock: :lol:)

Haha how funny!!
Thanks for advise I will send him on that diagram too!

Back