• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit auction :(

Sarah1989

Warren Veteran
My mum just called me and asked if I'd like to go to an auction one Thursday with my step dad in Holmefirth. He goes every now and then for pigeons as he keeps then and he said there were hundreds of rabbits under auction. They go for £4 each apparently as pets, but I doubt that very much.

I said no way did I want to go, I couldn't stand by and watch that, knowing there was nothing I could do :cry:

Can we do anything, do you think? Those poor bunnies :cry:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's horrible, I doubt many of them are then kept as pets if they are sold that cheaply. I wouldn't be able to go :(

Could you speak to the RSPCA or something? I know there will be probably very little they could do but I'd hate to think that the bunnies would be going to bad "homes" and futures :?

Last edited:
You should print out some posters about rabbit care, take them down and hand them out to people that buy the rabbits... I know you don't want to go but you could hand them before hand?

I read somewhere on Facebook about someone who had bought a bunny at an auction - couldn't believe that. Just awful. Don't blame you for not wanting to go:(

It's not necessarily going to be a bad thing. People buy all sorts at auctions; horses, cattle, sheep, so why not rabbits? They may be perfectly fine. RSPCA won't get involved so don't bother with them as you have nothing to report to them anyway in relation to their welfare/health etc as you haven't been. They won't act just because it's an auction as what is it they're expected to do? If they went to every reported auction of rabbits they'd have to attend for horses, cattle ... etc

Printing off some leaflets and handing them out is quite a good idea. At least then you'll feel like you've done something to try and help.

I've seen rabbits sold at auction and I would say majority go as impulse pets. I saw families there clutching their new purchase having no hutch, no feed or anything and having to be aimed at nearest pet shop for their new impulse buys needs. its not good. and yes they do often fetch peanuts. the auction houses are regulated- the one where i saw rabbits sold had a welfare officer checking all were well hydrated,in suitably bedded boxes, not showing obvious signs of illness but thats as far as it goes- thats the law at auctions and thats all. I had gone to auction to buy eggs and nearly came out with a rabbit as felt so sorry for them but thats just feeding the supply chain- if people refused to buy rabbits at such places the price would be so low no one would send them there as no profit.

I've seen rabbits sold at auction and I would say majority go as impulse pets. I saw families there clutching their new purchase having no hutch, no feed or anything and having to be aimed at nearest pet shop for their new impulse buys needs. its not good. and yes they do often fetch peanuts. the auction houses are regulated- the one where i saw rabbits sold had a welfare officer checking all were well hydrated,in suitably bedded boxes, not showing obvious signs of illness but thats as far as it goes- thats the law at auctions and thats all. I had gone to auction to buy eggs and nearly came out with a rabbit as felt so sorry for them but thats just feeding the supply chain- if people refused to buy rabbits at such places the price would be so low no one would send them there as no profit.

If there is a welfare officer there check in for food, water, bedding and signs of illness, then at least it's better than nothing. And if they are impulse bought by families, it's probably better than what I was imagining! I was having mental images of people buying them for breeding or training dogs for god knows what and that they were rammed in tiny cages with no food or water. I don't want to go because I couldn't watch that and I really can't afford to buy all the rabbits at auction to bring home and rehome myself to nice people who will love them. Harsh as it sounds, but if I don't see it, then it's not happening & I'll sleep at night. I so wish this didn't happen :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really do not recommend going. I guarentee it would upset you.
there are laws as I say regulating how and what can be sold (no unweaned babies) must have been able to drink etc but it is very much utter minimum standards and the animals are frightened .I also suspect the breeders producing them must have dreadful conditions that they don't want public to see as the prices are much lower then selling them from home would be.

Back