• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fly deterents?

Karen's

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,
Now summer is on it's way I've started to notice flys flying about. What is the best way to deter them from the bunny shed?
I change the litter trays every day, and I seem to be picking up stray poops from the floor two or three times a day! Not sure who the culprit is and no bun is admitting it!
Do people use those sticky yellow paper things you can hang up? (Out of bunnies reach obviously), or perhaps citronella scented stuff near the door? Can you grow citronella plants?
Thanks for any hints and tips :wave:

I've heard lavendar plants are meant to deter flies. I haven't tried them personally though.

I don't see why fly papers would be a problem as long as rabbits can't reach them like you said.

Last edited:
I hang little citronella bags on my hutches out of bunnies reach, and hang a fly screen over the front.

I also have an electric fly zapper I turn on when I'm there to supervise.

I found this on rabbitwelfare:

A number of plants are said to repel insects and flies. Some
may be dried and hung in the home, or the rabbit shed; others
may be planted in pots to sit on top of outdoor hutches, or
planted in half baskets and hung on the sides of the run. Just
make sure they are well out of reach of your bunny!

The dried flowers of pyrethrum deter mosquitoes and flies.

Pennyroyal is a low growing mint with tiny spikes of mauve
flowers in summer and a strong peppermint scent.

Nigella (Love in a Mist) is a pretty annual flower and a good
fly and midge repellent.

Many herbs are said to repel flies, for example: balm,
chamomile, hemp, agrimony, lavender, mugwort, rosemary, rue,
peppermint, santalina (CottonLavendar), basil, shofly. Green
oregano’s pungent smell repels just about everything in the
way of insects and its flower is enchanting.

I very carefully spray naf citronella flyspray meant for horses around the outside of the wendy house and roof, making sure it goes nowhere near there water or hay. I also spray on run roof

i used those sticky yellow papers last summer and they worked so well, i did feel a bit mean though :( i also have lavender growing as that supposedly deters them but i cant vouch for that yet!

Thanks everyone, I'll try the fly paper, and look at the citronella options too.
I'm not very green fingered but I'll maybe try growing some lavender, just hope it's hardy!:lol:

Back