• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

question if you use vetbed/profleece-ud done a wee on it!

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
do you use it in the summer? and do the pets get too hot on it? :? i've just got a massive piece for bisc for his hocks, and we were planning to put it in his whole area and part way down the lounge where he runs. but i'm worried now that he will be too hot on it. :? our house does get really hot unfortunately when the sun is out :(

we are getting a new window blind for very hot days though, and a fan, but even when it's only mild outside, our house seems to be really warm.

or am i worrying again about something not worth worrying about? :oops:

Last edited:
The only time I've ever used a fleecey bedding in the summer was last summer, for an incontinent piggy. I wasn't happy about it at all, but the pros outweighed the cons.

I have never found Vetbed/profleece to be of any help in the management of sore hocks. In my experience it can be just as problematic as carpet. I think 100% cotton sheets work best as far as a fabric substrate goes. So perhaps you could cover the Vetbed with cotton sheets. Cotton will be cooler too.

does fleece cause the same issue? if i covered the profleece with fleece would that work or would it be better to have cotton sheets? i can certainly get some of those if they are the best thing. :wave:

right, i've put it down now. it covers one side of his area at one end of the lounge. (he has the whole lounge but most of his things are down one end) he's not been on it yet so we'll see what he does. fingers crossed for no scratching or nibbling at it! i'll cover it with normal fleece if he does and then order some cotton sheets if they'll be better.

two of his favourite sleeping places are now where the profleece is. so we'll certainly know about it if he's not impressed! :shock: :lol:

he walked on it... then looked at us... then walked some more... then looked at us .. :lol: he seems to like it and has been snoozing on it. no digging eating it as of yet :thumb:

i have a feeling a cotton sheet will tempt him too much to wee (he used to wee on my bedding!) but we'll give it a go if it will be better for his feets. :love:

I still used it for Jessie's feet in the summer, I'd agree that they didn't help heal them but I do believe they helped to manage it and not make it any worse. I would use newspaper, a thin fleece on top and then vetbed in her sitting/sleeping corner. I didn't make any changes to the way their housing was set out in the summer apart from obviously more fly precautions due to windows being open, ice bottles and water bowls. Mine were always really good with the heat though, flopped about a lot and moulted a ton but no issues at all really.

If you wanted to try some out vetbed we have some clearance/offcuts pieces of vet bed so you can give it a go. A number of our customers use it all year round without issues.

I have never been able to get any of my bunnies to leave fleece alone. It goes in their mouth without fail and gets chewed. Even Fiver nibbles a wee bit although he is normally good with fabric. Mimzy is destructo-bun with anything I give him. :roll:
I hope it goes well for Bisc. He's too cute to have sore feetsies. :love: xxxx

I still used it for Jessie's feet in the summer, I'd agree that they didn't help heal them but I do believe they helped to manage it and not make it any worse. I would use newspaper, a thin fleece on top and then vetbed in her sitting/sleeping corner. I didn't make any changes to the way their housing was set out in the summer apart from obviously more fly precautions due to windows being open, ice bottles and water bowls. Mine were always really good with the heat though, flopped about a lot and moulted a ton but no issues at all really.

this is good to hear :thumb: i know once they've got it, it's just a case of managing it really. if i could get the times between it cracking to be longer then that would be great.

he's on carpet with fleece and padded blankets normally, so i've just put it straight over the carpet on one side. hopefully that will be ok.

If you wanted to try some out vetbed we have some clearance/offcuts pieces of vet bed so you can give it a go. A number of our customers use it all year round without issues.

thanks. i'll save that incase i need to buy more. :wave:

I have never been able to get any of my bunnies to leave fleece alone. It goes in their mouth without fail and gets chewed. Even Fiver nibbles a wee bit although he is normally good with fabric. Mimzy is destructo-bun with anything I give him. :roll:
I hope it goes well for Bisc. He's too cute to have sore feetsies. :love: xxxx

naughty bunnies :lol::love: luckily bisc and matt have never chewed fleece. matt would dig it up sometimes though :love: they were more into eating any rugs i tried to put down. :roll: and the other times i tried the profleece. :roll: luckily bisc hasn't this time. :thumb:

aw i agree, he is sooooo cute. :love::love::love: it's just his back left heel. the same small area everytime. he has hardly any fur there. i have to give him a foot comb over :shock:

thanks. i'll save that incase i need to buy more. :wave:

naughty bunnies :lol::love: luckily bisc and matt have never chewed fleece. matt would dig it up sometimes though :love: they were more into eating any rugs i tried to put down. :roll: and the other times i tried the profleece. :roll: luckily bisc hasn't this time. :thumb:

aw i agree, he is sooooo cute. :love::love::love: it's just his back left heel. the same small area everytime. he has hardly any fur there. i have to give him a foot comb over :shock:

When my little nethie went under for some dental work, the vet used surgical glue to give him a proper 'comb over' and it managed to let the foot heal.

I use vet bed because it means that way he isn't getting his feet wet with urine and causing the sores to get any worse.
I find it helps in that way.

When my little nethie went under for some dental work, the vet used surgical glue to give him a proper 'comb over' and it managed to let the foot heal.

I use vet bed because it means that way he isn't getting his feet wet with urine and causing the sores to get any worse.
I find it helps in that way.

thanks for this. if he ever has to go in for some reason, i'll mention it to the vet about the comb over. :thumb:

as predicted, he has done a wee on the vetbed. :roll: he just can't resist a soft surface for weeing! he occasionally does it on his padded blankets for no reason other than it cushions his bunny butt! :evil:

i've now covered the vetbed with fleece so that's what he normally has, so hopefully he won't do it again.

i think he is revenge weeing though because i picked him up to bathe his heel and he wasn't impressed. :oops:

I always used to find that with my bunnies - they couldn't have anything thicker than one of those really thin doormats, or they'd wee on it!

I always used to find that with my bunnies - they couldn't have anything thicker than one of those really thin doormats, or they'd wee on it!

:roll: he's skulked away to the other end of the room now. he knows exactly what he's done! :lol:

as predicted, he has done a wee on the vetbed. :roll: he just can't resist a soft surface for weeing! he occasionally does it on his padded blankets for no reason other than it cushions his bunny butt! :evil:

i've now covered the vetbed with fleece so that's what he normally has, so hopefully he won't do it again.

i think he is revenge weeing though because i picked him up to bathe his heel and he wasn't impressed. :oops:

We use vetbed specifically for a toilet for our rabbits, they all wee on them. Taz only wees on vet bed never in his litter tray :roll: This is why we get through a washing machine every 18 months :lol:

We use vetbed specifically for a toilet for our rabbits, they all wee on them. Taz only wees on vet bed never in his litter tray :roll: This is why we get through a washing machine every 18 months :lol:

oh great, thanks very much for this! :lol: i already do so much pet washing! :roll: we even have washing machine insurance now. :oops::lol:

maybe because it's new aswell, that might be why he is weeing on it? wishful thinking?! :lol:

Back