• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Taz update - a team effort

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I thought it would be nice to do an update about Taz. He has so many issues and it has been a real team effort to get him to the condition is now, although sadly he still has some serious ongoing problems. If it wasn't for KarenM, her daughter, Wylies vets and William Lewis (vet) Taz would not be here now. Since he has come to us he has 3 highly experienced vets looking after him plus a whole lot of attention from us ( whether we want to give it on not, demanding boy!)

For those that didn't see his original thread this is what was written about him -

He's underweight, has suspected EC - slight head tilt, weak back legs - and a bad mite infestation as well as ear mites. His face was thick, crusty and matted and his bum was matted too so they had to shave a lot of fur off & gave his tear ducts a flush. They also suspected he was blind although, now we've had him home for a couple of days, we think he has at least some vision as he's not bumping into everything like we'd have expected. His eyes bulge slightly though, and the third eyelids are visible, even more so when he's stressed.

He had a seizure last night so has now also been to see a lovely exotics vet who's giving him a course of steroids which should help with all his issues & he's been stable since then. He's got ear drops for the mites and is also on panacur for the ec. Despite all he's been through he's quite bright and is eating really well so we're hopeful he has a fighting chance.

This is how he looked - taken by KarenM

porkpie1.jpg

porkpie4.jpg

After around 6 weeks of excellent care Taz moved to us and became a Rainbow Rabbit

P1050942.jpg

P1050945.jpg

Within days of arrival his hormones woke up and we had no choice but to get him neutered. We left it two weeks to give him time to settle and he had a complete health check first. Despite that he stopped breathing during the op and we were so so close to losing him :cry: I have never been more grateful to have such an experienced bunny vet operating! He also had x-rays taken of his tooth roots which were good. Plus a biopsy of some of his lumps which came back as harmless cysts.

P1050989.jpg

P1050990.jpg

His little tail.......

P1050993.jpg

Once Taz had recovered from the op his condition really started to improve. We thought we had turned a corner and his future was rosie. His personality really started to shine. We have had some amazing rabbits in the past, Timmy, Humphrey, Trevor but this little lad is like all of them roled into one. He is more like a toddler trapped in a bunny body needing constant love and attention.

So we were completely gutted when 10 days ago while we were having a cuddle I felt an abscess at the base of his ear. He went straight to the vets where it turned out to not be a normal abscess. So we had some fluid taken and sent to the lab. It took 7 very long days to get the results back but he is now finally on antibiotics. He cannot have another GA so I clean his ear daily, he also has his eyes bathed daily. Despite not liking it he never complains and choses to come straight on my lap as soon as it is done for a cuddle. He really is amazing.

P1060098.jpg

This is him today. He looks so much better, not only is his fur growing back he has built up some of his wasted muscles and his legs are getting stronger. I haven't weighed him for awhile but I am sure he must have put on weight too.

His bad eye and good ear
P1060202.jpg

His bad ear and good eye
P1060201.jpg

P1060200.jpg

It is frightening to think that if Karen and her daughter hadn't stepped in this huge bunny personality would now be dead. Gosh it makes me cry just typing that. I also can't thank them enough for trusting me to take over his care and giving me the privileged of sharing my life with this special boy. I just hope we can get back on top of his latest problems and he still has that lovely long future ahead of him.

What an incredible story, bless you all for such dedication to an amazing little bunny.

I hope he can overcome the past and have a happy and loving life with you xxx

Liz I adore all your bunnies but this little guy has stolen my heart. :love: What a blessing for all that he has received this second chance thanks to all of you who have fought to save him. :)
Hello dear Taz :love: you are a treasure, little chap. :love: xxxx

It is frightening to think that if Karen and her daughter hadn't stepped in this huge bunny personality would now be dead. Gosh it makes me cry just typing that. I also can't thank them enough for trusting me to take over his care and giving me the privileged of sharing my life with this special boy. I just hope we can get back on top of his latest problems and he still has that lovely long future ahead of him.

I know what you mean and all of this was only made possible because you made space for him even though I know you were already up to your ears in bunnies. The photos don't show his personality but he is such an amazing little man; I can't even begin to describe why he's so special but it was impossible not to love him, even when he was at his scruffiest. :love:

There weren't any photos of when he first arrived at the vet - the first one I have his face had already been cleaned up and dematted so he looked even worse than in those first photos - kinda hard to believe really. :(

If any bunny deserves a long happy life, it's this little guy and I'm keeping everything crossed. I know that nobody could do any more than you and Steve to make sure that happens.

Liz I adore all your bunnies but this little guy has stolen my heart. :love: What a blessing for all that he has received this second chance thanks to all of you who have fought to save him. :)
Hello dear Taz :love: you are a treasure, little chap. :love: xxxx

He is the only rabbit we have had with his own mobile phone and fb profile!

He has to be near me almost all the time. When I do the big clean out he comes out in the garden with me. Waits outside every aviary when I go in and honks with excitement when I come out. Then follows me up and down the path.

In the evening we watch tv together in our onsies. He loves eastenders coronation street and outback truckers on quest. On Sunday both Steve and I ate our Easter roast on the bed as taz was on it watching the film Hop!!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

He looks so much better in the latest photos. In the first ones he just looks like fluff and bones - he looks like he should end up quite a big chunky bunny once he's filled out again?

He looks so much better in the latest photos. In the first ones he just looks like fluff and bones - he looks like he should end up quite a big chunky bunny once he's filled out again?

Yes I think he should be a chunky boy. It will be hard to get him to a good weight while he is fighting infection though. He has two bowls of pellets a day plus rather a lot treats to make up for all the bad things I have to do to him.

I'm sorry Taz has this extra health concern now. I didn't realize he was quite such a character. Really does sound like another Super Timmy with his fondness for you. I don't think Timmy honked though?

It's lovely to have a Taz update, although sorry to hear he is having some setbacks. Keep fighting little man xxxx

He weighs 2.28kg this evening on my not very accurate scales. I can't remember what he was when he was originally rescued. Maybe Karen can?

Thank you for the update, he looks so much better already. He does sound quite a character bless him :) I love the idea of him waiting for you to see to the other buns & honking for you when you come out, I think he may have claimed you ;)

I hope Taz is able to fight off the ear infection, poor fella has been through a lot. Vibes for more improvement xx

He is the only rabbit we have had with his own mobile phone and fb profile!

He has to be near me almost all the time. When I do the big clean out he comes out in the garden with me. Waits outside every aviary when I go in and honks with excitement when I come out. Then follows me up and down the path.

In the evening we watch tv together in our onsies. He loves eastenders coronation street and outback truckers on quest. On Sunday both Steve and I ate our Easter roast on the bed as taz was on it watching the film Hop!!

Oh dear, I may have to join FB just so Taz can friend me! :lol: His own phone? Really? :thumb:
How does he work it without thumbs? :? :D

He sounds wonderful, Liz. I am so jealous! :D

He weighs 2.28kg this evening on my not very accurate scales. I can't remember what he was when he was originally rescued. Maybe Karen can?

He was 2.4kg when he first came in to the vets and dropped to 2.25kg (but that would have been accounted for by all the fur and poo they had to shave off). We never did manage to put any weight on him, despite him eating like a horse.

Your scales were way out last time you checked him though & he weighed more than your scales said, so this might mean he's finally put some on. :D If he hasn't though, that wouldn't be surprising - all that thumping and following you around is probably using a lot of energy. :lol:

Back