• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Paddy please

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
I don't know what is wrong. He was lying down and he let me stroke him which he never allows. he is normally hyper and bouncy and won't sit still but just now he is stretched out and shifting a bit. I thought stasis at first but he accepted a treat and ate slowly. He may have an injured leg, he skidded onto his belly a little on his blanket and the lino part of his run. I can't see a limp or feel a break though. His tummy does not feel like a stasis tummy either. I am on hold to the vet right now but I hope they can see us asap. In the meantime I have put the video camera on in Paddy's run in case he reveals something whilst I am not there.

Well I am checking the video back now, he has stayed in the same place, mostly sitting up. He nibbled a little bit of carrot, his mate took the rest. he scratched his ear with his left leg so if there is an injury its not on that side. Then he went into lying down position in a bit of an ungainly fashion. I think there might be an issue on the right hand side or it could be stasis I suppose even if he is still eating. Because he is not eating much and what he does eat, he eats slow. His eyes are half closed, he gets up then he lies down again. He gets up again and he lists to one side.

Could he have had another seizure ?

Sending vibes for him xx

I really don't know Jane.

I just went back to see him and now I am very confused. I offered him some treats and he went for them eagerly. He also Jumped onto his balcony, into his hay box, into his puppy, lots of bouncing and jumping and running away from me as per usual (he hates being handled) and he scrabbled at my hand and reared up which is again normal for him. I am waiting for the vet to call back, I told the nurse everything I knew at the time. The only thing I thought was wrong was that he was maybe holding his right foreleg differently. I have put the video camera back on to see if I can gather any more clues. Its so strange though because he suddenly seems normal again :?

ETA I will try and upload the video in case any of spot any behavior I haven't recognized.

Just gone back out again, he was sitting a little hunched and was suddenly docile again and let me stroke him twice before moving away but not too far, he also stretch his back end up into the air.

Thanks for the vibes, OH has him at the vet now. Paddy refused to be be touched and did not allow me to pick him to put in the carrier right away but when he did he went all docile again. I am so unsure as to what it could be :?

Thanks everyone. Paddy is back from the vet now. The vet suspects it might be mild gut stasis as Paddy's gut was very quiet. Normally you would hear a gurgle in the gut every 15 seconds but in the 40 second slots when the vet listened there was no gurgle. So for now we have been given a gut stimulant to dose Paddy with once a day for five days. Its not a definite diagnoses but it is very probable that this is the cause. Paddy is more docile than usual but he is still eating proffered treats and I let him run about indoors which he loved, he was keen to explore everywhere. So whilst he seems 90% normal there is still that 10%. If he was not my bunny or if I was not bunny savvy I would never have picked up on it as its so subtle. He is still suspiciously docile and has been lying down and trying to get comfy around his belly which in my experience most bunnies do when they have a gut problem. The fact he has been eating made me think otherwise though. His limbs were checked over and there is no obvious strain, or break so for now if there is an issue it won't be treated as anti inflammatories will disrupt his gut further. Its a case of wait and see now. I have given him a heat pad and some parsley for now, hopefully by his night feed he will have perked up a bit.

Thanks again for all the vibes.

Did the Vet not give any pain relief at all :?

Yes, Paddy was given an injection of metacam but we also have a supply at home for him in case he needs it for his snuffles. I did not give him any before he went in though because I didn't know if it would cause more harm than good. I hope that is why he seemed perkier when he got home.

Yes, Paddy was given an injection of metacam but we also have a supply at home for him in case he needs it for his snuffles. I did not give him any before he went in though because I didn't know if it would cause more harm than good. I hope that is why he seemed perkier when he got home.

Oh right, Metacam is an anti-inflammatory aswell as a pain killer xx

Back