• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neglected bunny

Karen's

Mama Doe
I feel sick and sad. I was just chatting to my neighbour, and I asked after his grand child's bunny (it came to stay with him last year when they went on holiday), at first he said it was ok, but then proceeded to tell me 'they go off and leave it', 'it just gets forgotten about', 'it sometimes goes days without food because they (the grandchildren) forget to feed it', 'I don't know how it survives!'.
I feel sick to my stomach thinking what an awful life it must endure. I don't know where they live or I would report it. I can't offer to take it as I have four already, and I'm kind of rescuing a giant bun soon whose owner hasn't time for it anymore and it is hutch bound most of the time.
I know we can't help all the bunnies in need, but it breaks my heart to think of this poor lonely bunny.
I just needed to share this :(

That sounds really sad, it would worry me a lot. I could ask the rescue I foster for if they have room for bun. If they will let you have him/her and we can arrange to get it to Birmingham I'm sure we could help. Just let me know. Drop me a pm anytime. I also know we can't save them all but when you know about them it's tough to ignore xx

Karen's, could you print off some information from the RWA and give them to the grandad to give to his grandchildren? Worth a try.

Incredibly sad. Would be best if they gave him up.

One of my rescues came from a family where they got a dog and basically lost interest in him. He stayed in his cage all day and just ate and got fat. His life has changed around completely.

Thanks everyone, especially Alio71, I'm going to go see my neighbour tomorrow and ask him to ask his son if he will consider giving the bunny up. I'll drive the little bun all the way to Birmingham in an instant to save it from it's lonely existence (sorry to call the bunny 'it' but I don't know if it's a boy or a girl).
I only hope they put the needs of the bunny first, fingers crossed.

let us know the outcome, if however they do keep it, maybe you could show them your own set up and care x

sometimes even if someone says no at first they will call you a week or two later when they have thought about it. Unfortunately its often the child who has neglected the rabbit that suddenly decides it wants the rabbit and refuses to give it up even though the parents realise it would be best for the rabbit.

I've just spoken to my neighbour and he has said he will ask if they will give up the rabbit, I really hope they say yes. I'll update when I hear anything further.

Back