• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Bunny stained carpet!

Sarah1989

Warren Veteran
Anybody got any suggestions for removing bunny pee stains from my carpet? My boys have been peeing on the bedroom carpet and not in the boxes I provided for them. My house is rented too, so I could really do with getting it removed ASAP.

Anybody got any suggestions for removing bunny pee stains from my carpet? My boys have been peeing on the bedroom carpet and not in the boxes I provided for them. My house is rented too, so I could really do with getting it removed ASAP.

Try baking soda, or white vinegar, failing that 1001 carpet cleaner but keep them away from it until its completely dried.

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

I never found anything that truly cleaned pee stains out of a carpet except a steamer. Even then I had to really go at the stain with the attachments ..

Good luck

Depends on what type of carpet it is and what it's made from.

My upstairs carpets are beige twisted fibres (standard carpets really) and Vanish spray works a treat.

My living room carpet is a lighter beige wool loop (expensive!) and the only thing that works is white vinegar mixed with water, then blotting it away with a towel or strong kitchen paper. Unfortunately it will likely not fully come out and may reappear later on. We have taken to strategically placing items on top of pee stains for inspections, and we have fully accepted that we need to bear the cost of replacing the carpet like-for-like (about £300) when we move out in a month or so.

I accept I may need to replace the carpet and that's fair enough. Obviously if I can get it clean and not replace the carpet, that's a much better scenario. I'm going to try & track down some of that 1001 tomorrow from Asda and also see if I can get my mitts on a rug doctor to rent. My landlord is coming tomorrow as with all the rain we had today, my roof thought it would be nice to give me my very own swimming pool in my bedroom! :roll: I have a rug which I can use to cover it up and the door to that room will be closed anyway so unless he asks to go in that room, it should be fine. The boys have had to temporarily go back in their cages for now until I can get the carpet cleaned & protected and they are really not impressed with me!

Oh I fully agree, a clean carpet is a better option. Rug Doctor did work on our carpet, didn't bring it up perfect but wasn't noticable unless you were looking for it (does that make sense? :lol:) though I did absolutely go to town on it, more than the machine instructions recommended, but I was quite determined :oops:

Oh I fully agree, a clean carpet is a better option. Rug Doctor did work on our carpet, didn't bring it up perfect but wasn't noticable unless you were looking for it (does that make sense? :lol:) though I did absolutely go to town on it, more than the machine instructions recommended, but I was quite determined :oops:

If there were just the little patches here and there, it wouldn't be so bad, but I gave them a big cardboard box with shredded paper & hay to dig in and the little rascals used it as their toilet :roll: unfortunately, I didn't realise this for about 2/3 weeks as they were still using their cages as a huge litter tray and it was only when I came to top it up the other day that I saw what they'd been up to. Moved the box today to bin it and I have maybe a 2ft x 2ft stinky, wet & super stained patch. I bought a new hoover yesterday as my old one packed up and I've hoovered the room repeatedly (I know it doesn't do stain removal, but it made me feel better!) and it soaked some stuff up from that.... Now I just need to make it less noticeable as right now only a blind person wouldn't spot it. (No offence intended to blind people!)

If there were just the little patches here and there, it wouldn't be so bad, but I gave them a big cardboard box with shredded paper & hay to dig in and the little rascals used it as their toilet :roll: unfortunately, I didn't realise this for about 2/3 weeks as they were still using their cages as a huge litter tray and it was only when I came to top it up the other day that I saw what they'd been up to. Moved the box today to bin it and I have maybe a 2ft x 2ft stinky, wet & super stained patch. I bought a new hoover yesterday as my old one packed up and I've hoovered the room repeatedly (I know it doesn't do stain removal, but it made me feel better!) and it soaked some stuff up from that.... Now I just need to make it less noticeable as right now only a blind person wouldn't spot it. (No offence intended to blind people!)

Nancy wee'd in a cardboard box full of hay, luckily I saw her (and it was only the garage lino floor). Now they have a big plastic storage box to dig in, and the card board boxes I just cut holes in for them to play in, and jump on.

I just use baby wipes and clear it as soon as they wee, it comes out a treat when its just been peed on
I found a pee stain earlier from afew days ago and cleaned that with a baby wipe too and it came out with abit more elbow grease!

it depends on your type of carpet but baby wipes are great for me

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Steamer is only way in my opinion. After that is dry cover carpet with Lino until you move out then remove Lino. They will hate bring back in cages after having whole room

Steamer is only way in my opinion. After that is dry cover carpet with Lino until you move out then remove Lino. They will hate bring back in cages after having whole room

I have a huge roll of Lino on standby, ready to go down as soon as the carpet is clean. They are seriously unimpressed with me at the moment for caging them again and I feel bad, but I daren't risk the carpet any further. If it was my house and my carpet, I wouldn't mind so much as they are far more important, but I don't want to risk being evicted as my landlord was lovely enough to allow me to have them after originally having a blanket bunny ban.

I have a huge roll of Lino on standby, ready to go down as soon as the carpet is clean. They are seriously unimpressed with me at the moment for caging them again and I feel bad, but I daren't risk the carpet any further. If it was my house and my carpet, I wouldn't mind so much as they are far more important, but I don't want to risk being evicted as my landlord was lovely enough to allow me to have them after originally having a blanket bunny ban.

why not own up to it direct to him and then agree with him the cost of a new carpet - to be paid as you leave?

If I was a landlord I would feel that was a good tenant who would do that

why not own up to it direct to him and then agree with him the cost of a new carpet - to be paid as you leave?

If I was a landlord I would feel that was a good tenant who would do that

I'm going to do my best to get it cleaned out and then if not, I will happily pay for a new carpet to be fitted. Certainly I love this house and have no intention of leaving if I can help it. I have commitment issues and the idea of buying a house terrifies me, but I'd buy this house if it ever came to it. I've mentioned this to my landlord and he's said if I ever decide I want to buy it, he's happy for me to do so :thumb::D

Back