• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

run floor

is their anything i can use for the bottom of my run other than turf or slabs?

you could use stable matting? This is supposed to be good to help stop bunnies getting sore hocks. It should be easy to clean too

true- would it need anything specific underneath or could i lay it direct on the ground? also would it get hot with the sun on it?

true- would it need anything specific underneath or could i lay it direct on the ground? also would it get hot with the sun on it?

It can go on the ground. It will be ok in norml sunlight but I don' know how it will cope in the very very hot sun we had last summer. Just to warn you the 6 x 4 mats are heavy and will probably need two people to lift them into place initially

thanks for the warning! i will look into it- i wonder if the do non black ones...

I have horses and have never seen any. Do your buns have sore hocks was that part of the thought behind the mats? If so the eva ones might be a better option and they do come in other colours

sore hocks isnt the issue, its mainly because the ground is so hard that diggin it up to put turf in will be a nightmare and i just dont want any more slabs lol

i might look into decking tiles- they look quite pretty...

Just note that most bunnies will chew decking.

I've used decking tiles, I've had single deck tiles in both my runs before and never had any probs with chewing, they might have a tiny nibble but more likely to nibble the wood of the run which is easier to get a hold of! My bunnies haven't moved into their new run yet which is completely decked but I'm sure they'll find other nicer and easier things to chew - such as the trees I've put in there :lol:

This! I've used decking in part of my set up - as long as you don't mind the possibility of it becoming a bit flat and a bit more stripy it's brilliant :)

I'll update when they've been in there a few weeks :lol: Maybe I'm just lucky I don't have chewers, but with 4 bunnies it's surprising none of them are! Probably going to be eating my words in a few weeks time :roll:

thanks for that picture! looks great,can i ask, how did you prepare the ground underneath? did you have it really flat?

thanks for that picture! looks great,can i ask, how did you prepare the ground underneath? did you have it really flat?

No but my run has a base as it's made by pushing two runs together so basically the base is the sides of the original runs so it gave me a ready built frame to screw the deck tiles on to. I imagine you could make a similar frame by fixing wooden batons across the bottom of your run then screwing the tiles to the batons?

I use stable matting for my runs, it's reasonably priced too I got mine from Amazon - it can get really hot in the summer so I always make sure that there is a lot of shade in the run in summer :thumb:

Back