• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abscess closing up question - too soon?

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
Nena is 8 weeks post op for her jaw/tooth root abscess. I've been flushing the hole regularly - at the beginning it was 4-5 times a day and now it's only 2. All signs are good - major pockets of it have healed up well and there has been only healthy granulation tissue for several weeks now. The hole is now very small again, and I rang earlier to move forward the appointment I have for Thursday to tomorrow as I feel it may need to be reopened in order to be cleaned effectively. She's had it opened up twice now. I can't get a cotton bud in again, or the end of syringe to flush.

My usual vet was away last week and this week. This new vet, who I only met last week, noted on Nena's file that there is now 'no obvious signs of pus'. There is absolutely pus still being produced. The amount is now very small. I get about 2 scoops of this tool out, twice a day: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111258907671?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649. The receptionist said she'd speak to the vet, as from the notes it may be that he feels it's appropriate to let it close up. I am not 100% confident in this decision. From everything I've read and everything I've been told by 2 excellent vets at the surgery, the entire idea is to not trap any pus. If pus is being produced and we allow the hole to close over it then we're doing exactly what we've been trying to prevent for the past 8 weeks.

Am I right in thinking that in order to let an abscess hole close up effectively enough to prevent re-occurance, you either need to...

1) continue flushing until the healthy granulation tissue closes the hole up for you from the inside (i.e it basically fills in the hole that's remaining so you have no hole)

or

2) wait for pus to stop forming and then allow it to close.

To those who've battled abscesses - were you allowed to close up the hole while pus was being produced? I'm waiting for the receptionist to call me back about it, but if the vet tells me it's okay to let it close up am I right in being concerned? Tbh I haven't spent 8 weeks cleaning this out and putting Nena through this only to mess it up at the last hurdle because I don't challenge the decision of a vet who I don't know and I'm not 100% confident in. If my usual vet told me it was okay to let it close up I'd be okay with that probably - I trust her, she knows me and she knows Nena!

Last edited:
If there is still pus being produced then I would not be happy with being told to allow it to close up XX

Thank you, I thought so. I needed to check in order to be confident about what I was talking about :oops:

Not long had a phone call from the receptionist. She hadn't spoken to the vet who wrote the notes but was able to speak to another, and the other vet said it was okay to close it up. I said to the receptionist that I think the vet may have made an error in his notes as there absolutely is pus still being produced, and she said that's entirely possible that he's made a mistake or worded it in a way that's open to interpretation. I am not able to see any other exotics vet this week as he's the only one on, and they weren't able to see me tomorrow morning so I've stuck with my appointment on Thursday. I can't remember what he said in regards to pus at the actual appointment - perhaps it is just worded in a way that's misleading... I sure hope so, as I don't really want to have to argue with the vet that there's still pus! I wish my usual vet(s) were here :(

Back