• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spring Behaviour Change?

Hi All,

I am very new to this and this is my first post and I can't seem it find the answer anywhere. Who better to ask than those who have rabbits like me!

I have 2 english rabbits - Nala and Milo. Both under one.

Nala was brought into the home first, followed by Milo a couple of months later when we realised that buns shouldn't be kept alone.

They have both been neutered/spayed and we have tried some bonding with them but we are yet to succeed. We think we will have some success when we move house so the territory is completely new and both buns are older.

My question is.... Since Nala started shedding LOTS of a fur she has been displayed unusual behaviour. She is digging anything and everything, including me! She has always been a cuddly rabbit and would often come and sit with me for long cuddles while watching the tv. Now this is very rare. She is much more active and seems a lot more on edge. We have recently given both her and Milo much bigger cages and I thought this may have unsettled her but her strange behaviour started before this.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is it seasonal? Will she return to her loving self?

I'd appreciate any thoughts you have! I just want her to be happy!!!!!

Melissa

Spring can make them behave a little hyper - sometimes you see behaviours that are normally associated with unneutered rabbits - my lad who has been neutered six years has been circling my feet honking lately :lol:

Rabbits moult regularly - house rabbits more so :)

Try giving her toys/activities that help keep her occupied - a digging box might be good if she's been digging lately (just a box filled with shedded paper, soil or similar) the other thing the like is cardboard boxes arranged into tunnels/dens.

I am so glad to know that it is a seasonal behaviour!

Last night she was much more affectionate with me and came to me when I called her for a cuddle....

We have given both her and Milo so much to do in terms of digging and chewing that I can't fit anymore in their pens! Nala loves her towel for digging and lying on and Milo digs anything and everything!

Is there anything I can do to help with her losing her hair, as she is so hyper she won't let me brush her??...even when we're having a cuddle and I sneak the brush out it immediately unsettles her.

Thanks
Melissa

If the fur is moult is really bad you can usually just pluck the fur out with your fingers, I sort of work across in a pinching motion (thumb to side of first finger) and the loose fur comes out in tufts. It doesn't hurt as it's not attached just caught up in the still attached fluff.

Back