• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please could I ask for some help with baby bunnies diet?

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
So Talullah is underweight and also has the start of spurs on her teeth :(
I'm a bit torn at the moment about what's best to do for her diet.
Vet has said to try and get as much hay into her ad possible to try and get the spurs down as he thinks there due to her poor diet, I'm feeding baled hay alfalfa hay and small amounts herbal forage.
I'm also aware as she is underweight that I'm feeding her enough, she is getting her changeover food (a pellet and muesli mix) and I'm slowly changing to SS junior.
She wolf's the pellets down and has started begging for more and will even scoff the pellets from my hand.
My question is, should I let her eat more pellets as she seems so hungry and to put the weight on, or should I limit the pellets to encourage her to eat more of the hay?
Confused!!

I know when they are skinny it's tempting to 'fatten them up', but a lot of what is missing is usually muscle mass and fat won't fix that. A slow steady weight gain is much healthier.

I would concentrate on the hay, which will be good for her stomach to help it cope with changing food and good for her teeth. Unless there is an underlying cause for the weight loss you should find the weight will come back on naturally without extra pellets - the alfalfa is good for weight gain too. I would keep limiting the dry food and let her fill up on the hay - that will fill her up if she's peckish just as well :)

You could also mix some hay in with her pellets, you could cut it into small pieces so when she has eten all the pellets and the hay, you can then give her another bowlful. At least then she is getting a fair amount of hay without her feeling as if she is starving. In my experience babies don't eat that much hay just little bits at a time. Good luck with her. You could also give her some Readigrass.

I think alfalfa may be higher in protein so it should help with the weight aswell as teeth. I've had Oliver about 2 months now and although he is noticably stronger we are still only just getting there in terms of weight, its incredibly painstaking regaining muscle mass.

I think readigrass might be a good option for your bun! :) its definitely higher in protein than normal hay so might put a bit of weight on her, and its miles better for teeth than pellets :)
My bun goes mad for readigrass - I actually think he likes it more than pellets. I used to use it to get him to eat more hay when he was a baby, I sprinkled it over and mixed it in with his hay and it encouraged him to eat more hay so that might be worth a try if you're getting her to eat as much hay as possible :)

You could try those fibafirst sticks too. I think they are good for teeth and are hay based, please someone correct me if I'm wrong about that. Your bun may see them as a treat too so she could have one after her pellets.
I hope Tallullah feels better soon.

I think readigrass might be a good option for your bun! :) its definitely higher in protein than normal hay so might put a bit of weight on her, and its miles better for teeth than pellets :)
My bun goes mad for readigrass - I actually think he likes it more than pellets. I used to use it to get him to eat more hay when he was a baby, I sprinkled it over and mixed it in with his hay and it encouraged him to eat more hay so that might be worth a try if you're getting her to eat as much hay as possible :)

Mabel also goes mad for readigrass. It smells devine! I think mixing some in with hay could work really well.

Back