• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi threat at animal sanctuary

bunnylover177

Alpha Buck
I am hoping for a bit of advice. The sanctuary we volunteer at has 30 rabbits kept in reasonably good conditions. They have have myxomatosis in the wild rabbit population close to the sanctuary -they have recently found 2 sadly. Their rabbits are not vaccinated due to the cost although the manager is looking into finding a way to do it.
1. Does anyone know if there is a cheapish way for sanctuaries and rescues to have their rabbits vaccinated?
2. How much danger are these rabbits in? The wild rabbits do not live very close to the sanctuary rabbits, about half a mile. They would have no way of being in physical contact although I realise myxi is passed by biting insects. Has anyone any experience of a similar situation? Will they inevitably get it sooner or later if they are not vaccinated?

I am hoping someone can give me an answer I can show the sanctuary! I very much realise that this is not a good situation for these rabbits to be in.

Last edited:
I would say the risk is very high. Sadly if one bun at the rescue gets it, it will likely spread throughout them all. Without being vaccinated they stand practically no chance if they contract myxi.

Contact the RWAF and see if they can help you with anything.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Generally all rabbits taken into rescue should be vaccinated and neutered. If the rabbits are not vaccinated, they not only risk their own rabbits catching VHD ad Myxi but you put all the rabbits (domestic and wild) in the area at risk too. Might be worth bringing this up with the rescue owner. Hope the RWAf can help you. x

RWAF is an excellent suggestion, they could get in touch with the RSPCA as well - they may be able to help.

:wave: It might be worth approaching a local vets to see if they will do a group discount. I was fundraising a couple of years ago for Manchester and Salford RSPCA and they researched the cost of the vaccine drugs. It was very small per animal: a few pounds for one and about five pounds for the other. I think when you get vaccinations done at the vet, the greatest cost is the vet's time which would be charged at around £20 per animal.

I think this is fair enough given that the rabbit is usually given a pretty thorough health check.

Paying for the vaccination and the vets time maybe a lot cheaper. Although we pay £30 a pop, the vacc itself is a lot cheaper so ask local vets how much they'll charge to attend for an hour and bulk vaccinate.

I would say that they are very much at risk and need vaccinating asap.

I would contact the RWAF as people have already said and maybe the RSPCA and PDSA may be able to give advice too. They may also be able to get some help from P@H's Support Adoption fund. Vets may be able to offer a payment plan, or a discount for doing them all in bulk.

I would also recommend them to do a local fundraiser, maybe you could help them with this? Bake-sales, car boot sales, a plea on facebook, a sponsored something-or-other... all these could raise funds for vaccinating. I'd also start a local plea for mosquito netting, unused net curtains or mesh fabric locally, as these can help prevent the insects getting at the rabbits.

The thing is, if none are vaccinated, it just takes one rabbit to get it, and then it will spread rapidly.

Thank you everyone - this is really helpful. My OH will be contacting the RWA and I have some contact with the RSPCA. We have two rabbit friendly vets we will approach as well. I am really sorry for these bunnies - it is hard to get over the level of risk to the sanctuary.

they need vaccinating asap to have any chance! i know of some vets that act kindly towards rescues and do a reduced price or for free! ring round local vets and have a chat. if not i would take tasmins advice i know times are tough but the rescue has a duty of care to the animals and may have to bite the bullet as far as costs are concerned. in the mean time fly proofing the hutches is probably a good idea. :thumb:

Back