• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay surprise *photo may be bit gross* U/D Found another bit! post 14

Kirotea

Mama Doe
Found my first surprise in my timothy hay this morning. Can't decide if it is toe nails or teeth! :shock:

I was a bit grossed out when I pulled it out, it was facing the other way when I found it and looked a bit like a teabag at first but I made the mistake of turning it over and went urrgh and threw it back in the hay! I know there's much worse things I could have found though. I'm glad I didn't stick it in the hay feeder without looking :shock:

1972263_10154082719025195_4243115223218081176_n.jpg

Last edited:
Eeew send it back to them! !

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Looks a bit like teeth to me :D. Not sure it's fair to send it back as it's a natural product and anything could get caught up in the baler. You can't expect the farmer to search the field before baling. Just chuck it away and pull the rest of the hay out carefully in case you find the rest of it :shock::lol:.

Looks a bit like teeth to me :D. Not sure it's fair to send it back as it's a natural product and anything could get caught up in the baler. You can't expect the farmer to search the field before baling. Just chuck it away and pull the rest of the hay out carefully in case you find the rest of it :shock::lol:.

Yeh I don't think I could send it back, I know people who have found worse things in their hay. I think there was one story in a paper about a girl finding a whole deer leg or something similar, I think I would want a refund then! :lol:

I didn't think about the fact that there may be more in the bale :shock: It's a 10kg bag from timothyhay.co.uk and I've only used about a third of it. Will have to keep a close eye on what I'm pulling out and maybe put some gloves on just in case, I was a bit grossed out by having touched it!

Yeah but they need to be made aware of it

Do you think so? Not sure what, if anything, they could realistically be expected to do about it so letting them know won't achieve anything. It's a bit like picking strawberries from your local 'pick your own' and then complaining you've found a maggot in a strawberry.

Just my opinion though. Send it back if you think they should know.

I think it's just preference I would send it back just to make them aware of it I wouldn't necessarily expect anything to be done about it :)

Yeh I don't think I could send it back, I know people who have found worse things in their hay. I think there was one story in a paper about a girl finding a whole deer leg or something similar, I think I would want a refund then! :lol:

I didn't think about the fact that there may be more in the bale :shock: It's a 10kg bag from timothyhay.co.uk and I've only used about a third of it. Will have to keep a close eye on what I'm pulling out and maybe put some gloves on just in case, I was a bit grossed out by having touched it!

I'm sure that's all there is. It could have been dropped by a bird of prey as it flew over the field, or by a fox as it ate it's prey in the middle of the field. Or it could simply have been something that died in the field. I'm a third of the way through my latest 10kg bale as well .......... will dig carefully through it :lol:.

Looks like teeth to me too. I'd have to have a good look!
I've always thought they should do an episode of bones opening with someone finding bits of person in their hay bale :oops::lol:

I thought it was quite common to find the odd stray thing in your hay?

This is my third bale from timothyhay.co.uk and my bunnies love it and I love the smell too!

I might drop them an email with the photo just so they are aware, but like Mackers says I'm not sure they could prevent it when you think how many bales they probably produce at any one time they can't be expected to check them. It's quite small anyway (it looked like a PG teabag at first!) so they might not have spotted it even if they had looked.

Looks like teeth to me too. I'd have to have a good look!
I've always thought they should do an episode of bones opening with someone finding bits of person in their hay bale :oops::lol:

I might brave a better look later, it's still in the box of hay where I threw it at the moment! :oops:

Found another bit in the same bag! :shock: A bone from something. It's about 4 inches long!

10177863_10154134378605195_516749596857121745_n.jpg

Last edited:
Im thinking that its a sheepy thats been attacked and eaten, and the thing thats had it has left that part in field - farmers arent allowed to leave dead sheep in fields, they need to be removed straightaway.

This would be impossible to check for and to ensure it doesnt end up in the hay!

Back