• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Darius

:cry:

The Breeder is totally irresponsible. Rabbits of that size are going to have a short life and lots of health problems :cry:

The Breeder is totally irresponsible. Rabbits of that size are going to have a short life and lots of health problems :cry:

When I started looking for rabbits in November / December time I came across them advertising his possible babies on Pets4homes as they were about to breed him (I live in Worcestershire too). I wonder if they did in the end, there's no mention of any babies in this article.

I'm worried by the one bale of hay comment, my two 2kg bunnies get through a bale of timothy hay a month plus a couple of large bags of meadow hay too.

I was horrified that Daybreak would promote such shockingly bad rabbit care, especially around Easter. I've had a rant on Twitter, and sent them a polite but strongly worded message... not that it will do anything.

I've just come off Facebook after sending a strongly worded message to Supreme as well! (Makers of SS pellets). Their facebook page has shared a photo of a rabbit and guinea pig in a petshop cage, calling them "the perfect pair". ARE YOU SERIOUS?! :evil: I had a right rant at them :lol:

I do wish that the various media , tv, newspapers etc would stop going on about what these giant rabbits eat when its always an appalling diet.

I was horrified that Daybreak would promote such shockingly bad rabbit care, especially around Easter. I've had a rant on Twitter, and sent them a polite but strongly worded message... not that it will do anything.

I've just come off Facebook after sending a strongly worded message to Supreme as well! (Makers of SS pellets). Their facebook page has shared a photo of a rabbit and guinea pig in a petshop cage, calling them "the perfect pair". ARE YOU SERIOUS?! :evil: I had a right rant at them :lol:

I didn't see the Daybreak thing, just noticed the article and wondered what people thought about it.

Even Pets at Home tell people not to keep rabbits and guinea pigs together anymore!

I do wish that the various media , tv, newspapers etc would stop going on about what these giant rabbits eat when its always an appalling diet.

I know it's really sad because people who don't do research into keeping rabbits probably think carrots, apples and cabbage is a lovely healthy diet.

I'm really stingy with my two they don't get any fruit, they've never had it though so don't know any different. They get the odd bit of carrot on occasion when I'm cooking they get the end bit between the two of them. I wouldn't feed them massess of cabbage either because I know it can cause gas in sensitive bunnies and even though my two don't appear in anyway sensitive I'm still careful with vegetables like that!

The rabbit is 4 ft (so about a foot longer than he should be). At 22 kg, he's more than twice the weight of a normal conti. I raised this point about his predecessor in title (Ralph) a few days back - the rabbit appears to be grossly overweight. I can "buy" that he might be a "freak" length and even "healthy" but the weight is something I'd take some convincing about. Maybe I'm wrong but, looking at photos, he's certainly "squishy". If he's a conti, he shouldn't be. They are lean. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rabbit is 4 ft (so about a foot longer than he should be). At 22 kg, he's more than twice the weight of a normal conti. I raised this point about his predecessor in title (Ralph) a few days back - the rabbit appears to be grossly overweight. I can "buy" that he might be a "freak" length and even "healthy" but the weight is something I'd take some convincing about. Maybe I'm wrong but, looking at photos, he's certainly "squishy". If he's a conti, he shouldn't be. They are lean. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the photos I've seen he has a big dewlap which is not something I've ever noticed in contis. I think that this is technically something that only unspayed females (or females who are spayed later on) and overweight rabbits have? Is that right? Darius certainly looks quite fat in the photos I've seen. Between this and the 'bunny bath' video, rabbits are getting too much bad coverage at the moment, and it's worse because misguided people think it's cute and perfectly okay :(

I tried moaning to my Mum about it and she had a go at me! Saying the rabbit was perfectly healthy and I should mind my own business... that's what happens when stuff like that gets put on tv, everyday people who don't know any better, think it's perfectly fine :(

She also did the typical "well she's had rabbits for years, she must be doing things right" :roll: :evil: SO FRUSTRATING.

Go Chloe :thumb:

:evil: Urgh. Nice way to let your child grab a rabbit too. I'm sure being grabbed around the middle like that with your legs danging is so comfortable! :evil:

The owner of Darius lives in a village near me. Darius is just a way to make money....in my opinion that is.

I hate to see animals being used in such a way.:evil:

I tried moaning to my Mum about it and she had a go at me! Saying the rabbit was perfectly healthy and I should mind my own business... that's what happens when stuff like that gets put on tv, everyday people who don't know any better, think it's perfectly fine :(

She also did the typical "well she's had rabbits for years, she must be doing things right" :roll: :evil: SO FRUSTRATING.

Yes, she has had rabbits for years...........I board bunnies to earn my living.......she ' markets' her bunnies via the media to make hers. Best stop there before I say too much........in anger.

The owner of Darius lives in a village near me. Darius is just a way to make money....in my opinion that is.

I hate to see animals being used in such a way.:evil:

Someone posted the video from the section on Daybreak this morning in a thread in general chat. She said his babies sell for £180 each! :evil:

She owned the previous longest bunny (Darius' mum) and said "I just don't know why they keep getting bigger". Umm because you're breeding them that way!

Back