• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fur ingestion

Hello,
Just a quick question re Buster!
Last night he had another of what I presumed to be 'gassy' episodes, ie hunched up and teeth grinding, not eating.
He has had one of these in the past, when he tried a bit of cucumber, and that time it obviously disagreed with him so we have never fed it to him since.
This was just the same, except I couldn't think of anything he had eaten that could have possibly caused it, as he had not eaten anything other than his usual diet. It lasted a couple of hours, then he suddenly perked up and started stuffing his face as usual. He then did several poos, a couple of which were strung together, which I understand is fur ingestion.
I brush him a lot anyway, but when he is going through a big moult like he is at the moment, I tend to brush him several times a day as his fur gets everywhere. My question what else can I do to make sure this kind of thing is avoided where possible? Any tips or tricks other than the brushing? I did buy some 'hairball remedy' treats from P@H a while back, which are supposed to help with this kind of thing, but haven't really been giving too many of them, has anyone used these and found they've helped at all?

Last edited:
As far as I know, fibre is the best thing to feed him. Hay, grass, high fibre pellets with some exercise to help his gut to keep moving.

I agree with tonibun...shooter had something similar too that a few weeks ago, i actually massaged his stomach and its very weird but i find it actually works. hes had gi stasis twice and i did that both times and he was fine after that. hope i helped at least a bit:thumb:

I agree with tonibun...shooter had something similar too that a few weeks ago, i actually massaged his stomach and its very weird but i find it actually works. hes had gi stasis twice and i did that both times and he was fine after that. hope i helped at least a bit:thumb:

Thanks. Yeah I massaged his stomach also and took him into a room he never usually goes in, this got him moving about and exploring a bit. Eventually he took a dandelion leaf off me, and after that he perked up so guess it got him moving again. He has lots of hay already, and pellets wise he is on Excel. Are there some pellets that might be better for fibre?

I sometimes give mine some fresh pineapple juice as some people say this has an enzyme in that helps dissolve fur but nothing is proven. You also have to be careful not to give too much due to the high sugar content.

Apart from this I try to make sure that they are brushed 2-3 times a day, plenty of water and their hay/pellets. Any veg is always washed in water anyway but try to leave more water on to increase the fluids.

Back