• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezy bunny - help! UD no better

Sarah1989

Warren Veteran
One of my bunnies keeps sneezing. Should I be worried? Is it a sign of something sinister or has he just got dust up up his nose?

Edit: he's not actually my bunny - my friend went on holiday and left him and his doe with me so he doesn't know me and I don't know him. Therefore I don't know what to do for the best. Do I risk stressing him out and possibly make him worse, trying to catch him and dragging him off to the vet, or do I keep an eye on him for now and hope it's just stress related? If he does get worse, I'd definitely take him, that's not the issue, I don't want to leave it too late, but I don't want to make him worse by taking him if you know what I mean? :? :? :?

His doe is fine and he only makes these little snuffly sneezy noises in the evening. I'm able to get close enough to see his nose and one nostril is a bit gunky, but the other isn't. I can't see his paws, but I have seen him wiping his nose with one this evening when I fed them :? :? :?

Last edited:
Defo worth a vet visit, it could be nothing or it could be the beginnings of a respiratory infection which can be caused by pasturella aka snuffles :( most respiratory infections don't turn out to be anything nasty and if treated fully on the first occur acne often don't come back :p

Is his nose wet or crusty? Check the inside of his front legs too as those act as bunny hankies!

My Thor got an upper respiratory tract infection I swear from being allowed to dig into a bag of pah normal hay, it was too dusty for him :( he was treated almost a year and a half ago and has had no reoccurrences :p

I've managed to get a look at his nostrils and one is clear & normal looking, the other nostril has a teeny tiny amount of fur strands that are crusty. He hasn't sneezed today though. He's not actually my bunny - I'm looking after him for a friend who's on holiday so he doesn't know me so I'm loath to try & grab him to check his paws & haul him off to my vet to avoid stressing him out further. He only arrived Saturday evening so it's all new & strange to him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is he near your own buns? I'd possibly try to keep him away in case it is an infection. Hopefully not but just to be safe. :)

Yes they're upstairs in their own room, he's downstairs. He has a wifey bun & she's fine. No sneezing or slight gunky nose. I'm wondering if it's stress related from moving and he's just feeling under the weather like humans do?

Yes they're upstairs in their own room, he's downstairs. He has a wifey bun & she's fine. No sneezing or slight gunky nose. I'm wondering if it's stress related from moving and he's just feeling under the weather like humans do?

Ah good. I hope it is just stress. :)

He's still sneezing today, although only in the evenings :? I don't know what to do for the best :?

So I took them to the vet on Wednesday and he gave them both a thorough check over including listening to them with a stethoscope and taking their temperature. He says they have no signs of infection - breathing and temperature is normal.

But today, he is still sneezing and his gunky nose is worse. I have googled snuffles, but he doesn't have runny eyes. I'm not sure what to think. He was showing no signs of infection on Wednesday so how come this is still persisting?

Any ideas gratefully received!!!!!

So I took them to the vet on Wednesday and he gave them both a thorough check over including listening to them with a stethoscope and taking their temperature. He says they have no signs of infection - breathing and temperature is normal.

But today, he is still sneezing and his gunky nose is worse. I have googled snuffles, but he doesn't have runny eyes. I'm not sure what to think. He was showing no signs of infection on Wednesday so how come this is still persisting?

Any ideas gratefully received!!!!!

He needs to go back to the Vet. Rabbits with 'snuffles' seldom have a temperature and they dont always have gunky eyes aswell as a nasal discharge.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm

He needs to go back to the Vet. Rabbits with 'snuffles' seldom have a temperature and they dont always have gunky eyes aswell as a nasal discharge.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm

Right, I'll take him straight back to the vets on Monday morning unless he deteriorates suddenly. I'm loath to use the OOH vets my surgery uses as it's Vets Now and I don't have a lot of faith in them.

Back