• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outside bunny to a indoor rabbit help

pippa

Young Bun
Hello

I'm just after some help really from all those people who have indoor rabbits,
I'm debating over making my very fluffy rabbit a indoor rabbit I think the environment will suit her more,
Just a few questions
bunny proofing? How and what precautions do you take?
Litter trays? Where do you put them?
Are they always free range or do by they have a secure place for them?
Eg dog crates or indoor cages? I haven't got a big enough house to a have a dedicated room so any ideas would be most grateful?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Bunny proofing is as simple as covering/blocking anything your bunny can chew that you don't want them ie wires.
I use newspapers kitchen roll, and hay in my litter trays.
Mine are always free range but it's entirely up to you. Many people on here have dog crates, with a run made from puppy panels etc

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

bisc has free range of the lounge and has most of his things at one end of the lounge, then some other blankets around the room. he sleeps next to the tv mostly :love:

just block off any wires. if you're worried though, you could put her into her area at night/when you're out. i used to with bisc and matt and had a 'fence' made from mesh storage cubes. i still have one now that i use at night to block the tv and curtains from bisc! i think he would eat the whole curtain if i didn't :shock:

eta: bisc and matt used to be outside and when i brought them in they loved it. and so did i :love: think you'll love having her inside. :love: and the hay everywhere will be worth it ;) :lol:

Just a few questions
bunny proofing? How and what precautions do you take?

Anything you value and don't want eating needs to be moved out of their reach. Move all things like wires, hide them behind/under things. But accept that bunnies chew. They may eat your things no matter how well bunny proofed things are. Our rabbits have free access to their room, which has our stairs leading from them and our landing. Their room is empty from everything. But I accept that if they decide to they will eat the spindles on the stairs. Ideally they won't do. We provide them with a lot more tasty things. They do have access to the lounge when we're home. And we do shout 'oi' at them when they start nibbling the back of the sofa, but we accept that it's just one of those things. Nothing is left on the floor for them. One is a nibbler, his main thoughts are "is it edible/does it taste good?".

Litter trays? Where do you put them?

We have a rabbit cage. A small one by rabbit welfare standards, but they have free 24/7 access to their room so they are more than catered for. We did have litter trays in the bottom of their cage, but they just wee anywhere in that part. (Their cage is 3 stories). So we got rid of their litter trays, now the bottom of their cage is one giant litter tray. It is the only place they wee, and now they're both neutered/spayed, it is pretty much the only place they poo. They do see their cage as their space. When we first got them and they were smaller, and before we combined their cages into one, they were locked up at night and when we weren't home. So from an early age we trained them to know their space. They then had access to their room but for short periods, gradually extending, until now. In their cage we line it with 2-3 sheets of newspaper and then a covering of catolat. With their hay placed on top.

Are they always free range or do by they have a secure place for them?

Have already answered this. :) they are free range - they have their room, stairs and landing 24/7. At the moment. And our lounge when we're home. But when we first got them they lived in their cages (1 two story cage each) and we're allowed out when we were home to supervise them. I think this has really helped them know 'home'. During the day they're often in their cage relaxing. During dusk/dawn they are out in their room playing.
We have the 100cm ferplast double story cage from pets at home, we have/had two. But once the pair were bonded we then combined their cage to make them three story.

Will go get a photo to show our set up.
13867577174_606cfb3e63.jpg

I keep my indoor buns in a pen, they are just too naughty to be free range 24/7 :D

You can kind of see how ive made sure they cant chew the skirting boards. I used fireguards to make my pen, they used to be free in the room but they started to chew a hole in the door getting it open to escape the room :D

Mine have there own room, I could not let them free range as they would trash the place. And I dont like the thought of everything special being covered x

Bunny proofing: Rabbits are chewers and will most likely nibble if not demolish anything they can get their paws on, for this reason anything that isn't a bunny toy should be moved up onto a surface (bare in mind rabbits can jump a meter so this surface needs to be taller than that to keep the rabbit off it.) ot blocked off. This chewing craze may move onto your carpet or any furniture in the room but there are different solutions you can make at home which scent the area to put your rabbit off chewing should this occur.

Your litter tray: This should ideally be in a corner with your hay rack, try to put this in a area more quiet and if possible dark.

Free ranging: This is up to you but I would recommend a dog crate or small run for your rabbit to be locked in should you have guests, need to confine it due to injury and also just a bit of personal space for your bunny.

Housing: I recommend a dog crate. Pease make sure it is at least two foot tall and has space for your bunny to hop a couple of times in it. A dog crate is probably the cheapest option but a diy enclosure could also be made. However please don't buy anything like this!! http://media.petsathome.com/wcsstore/pah-cas01//300/23808PL.jpg

Back