• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which is better? SS or Excel nuggets?

Sarah1989

Warren Veteran
I have a friend who has just got two 8 week old baby rabbits. It's been a few months since Badger & Blueberry were that age, so I can't quite remember how best to advise her to look after them. I've told her to let them settle in a bit before they go for their injections and she starts changing their food over from the museli they came with. I've told her they need junior pellets and unlimited hay, but I'm not sure myself which is best - Excel or SS? Mine are all on Excel adult nuggets, but I've been wondering if I need to change mine over to SS.

i think its purely down to preference.. i think ss is slightly more expensive gram for gram and as far as im aware they the best pellets out there they only thing to watch is some have said excel can cause a messy bum. personally i have had no experience of this ( i use excel) so would suggest trying excel for cost reasons and moving to ss if there are any problems :thumb:

If excel is the choice..they're 3 for 2 in p@h at the moment.

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

Tbh I think there is very little between them now. When I was choosing I think SS had a higher fibre content so I went with that one. Now I think excel has pretty much caught up. They are both good foods.

Excel is easier to get hold of, but now even pah sell SS so it's getting easier to get both.

If they choose excel and their buns have persistent messy bottoms it may help to change, some buns are prone to excess Cecals on excel but most are fine on it :p

For junior pellets definately SS - the excel junior are pretty poor in fibre. Even for adults SS is a bit better nutrionally than excel. i usually buy about a years supply (dependant on best before date obviously) of SS when its on offer so have never paid more than 1.50/kg.

This table is brilliant for comparing foods - http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp?diet=young&sortby=#chart (just make sure your looking at junior suitability for youngsters and adult suitability for 6+months - the option to swap between the two is just under the: "Food Comparison Table" heading)

For junior pellets definately SS - the excel junior are pretty poor in fibre. Even for adults SS is a bit better nutrionally than excel. i usually buy about a years supply (dependant on best before date obviously) of SS when its on offer so have never paid more than 1.50/kg.

This table is brilliant for comparing foods - http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp?diet=young&sortby=#chart (just make sure your looking at junior suitability for youngsters and adult suitability for 6+months - the option to swap between the two is just under the: "Food Comparison Table" heading)

Perfect, thank you for this, I'll pass it on :thumb:

SS for me although mine have the Harringtons one from Asda. I used excel once as it came with a foster bun and it gave A and E runny poos, the dutch lots were fine with it though

Back