• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Olly not good today :( U/D Success!!!!

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Olly is not too good today :( he is eating ok, but just staying in his house. I am struggling getting his baytril into him this time - normally he just gobbles it up in some mashed banana or dry bread, but for some reason he's sussed it out now. I have to put less baytril in more banana, to make him eat it, so have to split the dose. I gave him more metacam which should help though. He's feeling very sorry for himself, and not drinking enough, and therefore weeing/pooping less. I have meds to see him through the bank hol so should be ok, I just want him better again :( blasted bladder sludge :(

Last edited:
:cry:

Did the Vet express his bladder ?

I hope he feels better soon xx

Thanks Jane, no he hasn't had his bladder expressed yet, will be taking him on tues hopefully. Normally the antibiotics sort him out in a few days:( would they express his bladder in a normal appointment or does it involve sedation? What do they do? Just squeeze it to empty it? Or flush it with something? :?

Thanks Jane, no he hasn't had his bladder expressed yet, will be taking him on tues hopefully. Normally the antibiotics sort him out in a few days:( would they express his bladder in a normal appointment or does it involve sedation? What do they do? Just squeeze it to empty it? Or flush it with something? :?

It depends on how much sludge there is, how thick it is and how painful his bladder is. Sometimes manual expression can be done whilst the Rabbit is awake, but sometimes a GA is needed and the Rabbit has to be catheterised and the bladder flushes out. It is also important to ascertain if there are any actual uroliths/nephroliths (bladder/kidney stones) so an abdominal Xray would be useful.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Mech_diseases/Urolithiasis.htm

Rabbits with chronic bladder sludge issues may need regular manual bladder expression and also sometimes SQ fluid therapy. I have to do this for Harry now.

Poor Olly.. And poor you... The stress of having a poorly bun. :(

Vibes and nose rubs for Olly, hugs for you.xxx

aw poor olly. :( my ches (piggy) had bladder sludge and had his bladder flushed under sedation. they took xrays before and after. they flushed his bladder through six times and then he was on medication for quite a while but recovered well.

love to olly x

Thanks everyone. I just rang my vets to see if there was a message about opening times over the bank hol, and they have a drop in clinic for an hour tomorrow morning, so I'm going to take him then. Obviously the bladder flush won't happen tomorrow but at least they can get some meds into him, as I'm really struggling :(

Thanks everyone. I just rang my vets to see if there was a message about opening times over the bank hol, and they have a drop in clinic for an hour tomorrow morning, so I'm going to take him then. Obviously the bladder flush won't happen tomorrow but at least they can get some meds into him, as I'm really struggling :(

never ending for you isn't it :( hope the vets can help and get some meds into him. x

Aw poor Olly. Really hope you can get him sorted out soon.My oh suffers with kidney stones and subsequent bladder sludge. The pain has been so bad I've called an ambulance twice, so goodness knows how a poor bunny copes.

We are back from the vets - it was a new vet who i don't know, which doesn't ease the stress levels! But Olly has had his baytril, metacam and metoclopromide injections, and he's booked in at 8am tomorrow for xray and bladder flush... Same vet. She seemed ok, not newly qualified anyway, but she talked so LOUD! Not good around bunnies!
Anyway i hope this will help him feel a lot better. I hate my little munchkin being poorly :( thanks for all the vibes, please keep them coming x

I am starting to panic a bit about Olly's GA tomorrow :cry: he's going to be so scared all by himself in the vets :cry: and with his head tilt it'll be even worse; he'll be so disorientated afterwards :cry: what if he's so stressed he doesn't come through it? I can't lose my little Olly :(

I know it's impossible to remove all worry but Mimzy has had tilt for two years and he's been through at least three dentals since he first fell ill and has done brilliantly each time. :)
Fun fact...did you know that tilt bunnies' heads will actually straighten out during a GA? And until the anesthesia wears off completely Olly might look a bit straighter for awhile. It always brings a tear to my eye when this happens to Mimzy and then by evening he's wonky again. :(

Sending all the best and brightest vibes and prayers for Olly. xxxxxxxx

I know it's impossible to remove all worry but Mimzy has had tilt for two years and he's been through at least three dentals since he first fell ill and has done brilliantly each time. :)
Fun fact...did you know that tilt bunnies' heads will actually straighten out during a GA? And until the anesthesia wears off completely Olly might look a bit straighter for awhile. It always brings a tear to my eye when this happens to Mimzy and then by evening he's wonky again. :(

Sending all the best and brightest vibes and prayers for Olly. xxxxxxxx

Aww thank you, that's good to hear. X

Back