• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What delightful foods are safe to hide antibiotics in?

Nic.

Warren Scout
I am having horrible trouble getting Luna to take her antibiotics :( She's only had one proper dose so far and that was when the vets gave it to her. The other times it just ends up on her fur. Today she bit me like 5 times then peed on me, I actually find it impossible to get it in her mouth, even when I'm wrapping her up tight in a towel. My new approach is to mix her antibiotics in with something yummy, but I haven't found anything yet. Any suggestions? It needs to be quite smushy so I can mix it all up and strong tasting. I've tried applesauce and babyfood so far (just a teeny bit) but I'm not sure what would be save to give her. Any suggestions?

Sometimes a bit of dry toast will do the trick - the stuff may soak in but most rabbits like toast so much they will still devour it. Perhaps worth a try. Basil leaves are also good, but its hard to control the medication on them.

I am having horrible trouble getting Luna to take her antibiotics :( She's only had one proper dose so far and that was when the vets gave it to her. The other times it just ends up on her fur. Today she bit me like 5 times then peed on me, I actually find it impossible to get it in her mouth, even when I'm wrapping her up tight in a towel. My new approach is to mix her antibiotics in with something yummy, but I haven't found anything yet. Any suggestions? It needs to be quite smushy so I can mix it all up and strong tasting. I've tried applesauce and babyfood so far (just a teeny bit) but I'm not sure what would be save to give her. Any suggestions?

I've tried banana, weetabix and Ribena! All seems to work. :thumb:

(Obviously in small quantities; ie just enough to disguise the taste)

Mashed banana :wave:

We definitely have a winner :D She wolfed it down. Yaaay. The main trouble was keeping Lana off it who was like a rabbit possessed, she really wanted some mashed banana. Luckily she now has her own :D Thanks everyone!

Back