• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites..

Popsy_

New Kit
Hi all.. I'm just after a bit of advice about treating mites.

My two indoor buns had their half yearly checkup at the vets last week and noticed little brown specks in the white ones fur around her tail. The vet took a sample and confirmed after looking under the microscope that they are mites. We were told that they are not the usual 'walking dandruff' type usually associated with rabbits, and that they were actually a bit stumped about what type they were - but most closely resembles a dog mite.
As I said they are house rabbits and we don't have any other pets so can only assume the mites have come in on the new batch of hay I started them on the previous week.

Anyway they've had 2 tubes each of Xeno 450, I threw out all the hay, hoovered every area they've had access to including a proper clean of their room but I'm worried that won't be enough.

I need to do another treatment next weekend and again 4 weeks after that.
After the first treatment it looked as though we had a couple of says clear of the brown specks in the fur but they are now most definitely back.

Is there anything else I can do? Should the Xeno have cleared it up after the first treatment?

Back