• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

House rabbit vaccinations...

tashp90

Warren Veteran
I've just seen on a selling page :roll: someone saying that house rabbits don't need vaccs...opinions?

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

Both of my house buns are vaccinated... As far as I'm aware biting insects can still transmit myxi etc so for me not having them done isn't worth the risk!

Both of my house buns are vaccinated... As far as I'm aware biting insects can still transmit myxi etc so for me not having them done isn't worth the risk!

Both of mine are too, I didn't even think about not getting them done

:wave: I don't get my housebuns vacc'd as a matter of course as I live in Liverpool and I know that there are no wild rabbits for several miles radius. I don't walk/visit areas which have wild bunnies. Also, I only have a paved back yard and birds do not visit regularly. In 8 years I have only once seen a bird in my back yard and I have never seen vermin. The only way my buns could become infected is through hay.

If I lived in a more suburban area, was visiting a rescue with them or was going to put them into boarding, I would get them done as I have done in the past.

Last edited:
It won't let me see that as it needs to be downloaded on my phone.
Presumably it's what I think in that they should still be vaccinated? This person said "she's a house a bunny, and is not to go outside so she doesn't need vaccinations"...I need to delete these selling pages :evil:

Mozzys can still get in through open windows. Vaccinating is always best ( unless a vet says otherwise for particular individuals).

The only reason not to vaccinate is for medical reasons, i.e. if a rabbit is considered too ill to vaccinate.

Otherwise, all rabbits should be vaccinated, indoor or outdoor. Indoor buns aren't as much at risk as outdoor ones, but there is still a risk. Fleas and other insects can come in on hay, and mozzies/midges come through open windows and doors very easily. You can also carry fleas etc back on your clothes from work, as other people have cats, dogs etc or even from other people's houses. And vhd can live on surfaces for months, so doesn't even need an insect to travel.

It's just not worth the risk. If someone wants to save £30-40 by putting their pet's life in danger, then they shouldn't have that pet.

I will always have my rabbits vaccinated regardless to whether they lived in or outdoors. If I couldn't afford to do so I wouldn't keep pets

Viruses can be brought in on hands, shoes, visitors shoes, I think some if them are air born too...

Put it like this, one of my house bunnies passed away suddenly recently, she was only 6, I don't know what the cause was but I regret terribly that she was not vaccinated...

I looked into it and come to the conclusion that its better to vaccinate, even if the risk is lower from being indoors I would rather be safe than sorry :wave: Alfie is due for his around now but im taking them for a check up when its rabbits awareness week in may does anyone know if waiting a couple of weeks is ok? Or just get it done now? Its no problem for me as I drive ect, just thinking it saves them going twice in a short space of time

The only reason not to vaccinate is for medical reasons, i.e. if a rabbit is considered too ill to vaccinate.

Otherwise, all rabbits should be vaccinated, indoor or outdoor. Indoor buns aren't as much at risk as outdoor ones, but there is still a risk. Fleas and other insects can come in on hay, and mozzies/midges come through open windows and doors very easily. You can also carry fleas etc back on your clothes from work, as other people have cats, dogs etc or even from other people's houses. And vhd can live on surfaces for months, so doesn't even need an insect to travel.

It's just not worth the risk. If someone wants to save £30-40 by putting their pet's life in danger, then they shouldn't have that pet.

Agree with this. When I have severely compromised rabbits I make the decision not to vaccinate,taking the advice of my vet.

Agree with this. When I have severely compromised rabbits I make the decision not to vaccinate,taking the advice of my vet.

Me too. My Vince didn't get vaccinated for the first year of his life as he had full blown snuffles and the vet said it was a bad idea. Last year he was well enough to have it and although I was petrified it might trigger a worse reaction of his snuffles my vet is convinced he has no infection left ( his immune system is fine) he just has symptoms ( like cats with cat flu). He will be getting done next week.

I work every bank holiday Good Friday and Monday as I get £200 extra pay. This ALWAYS goes on my rabs vacs, never anything else. Every year without fail. That way they will always be done, regardless of whether I am skint or not from that month's wages. ;)

All my buns are house buns and have their annual combi vaccination. I'm not taking any chances, they're far too precious to me to risk their lives like that and I'd never forgive myself if anything happened to them.

I've lived in the city centre for years and have always vaccinated. For the sake of £40, I don't think it's worth the risk. There were no wild rabbits in Manchester city centre but biting insects like mosquitoes can also fly and I think in most cities there are actually more open, green areas that may have wildlife than people might expect.

I moved into a new flat, the previous tenant had a cat, the cat had left fleas, I don't know where the cat had been but fleas can transmit myxi, so better safe than sorry.

I also board my bunnies while on holiday and to do so they need to be vaccinated.

I don't quite understand why people think the risk is so much lower being indoors. Throughout mozzie season I'm always covered in bites (even if james remains unscathed :roll:), they virtually always happen at night, and I don't even have an opening window in my room! I wouldn't want to take the chance unless it was more risky to get the rabbit vaccinated.

I don't quite understand why people think the risk is so much lower being indoors. Throughout mozzie season I'm always covered in bites (even if james remains unscathed :roll:), they virtually always happen at night, and I don't even have an opening window in my room! I wouldn't want to take the chance unless it was more risky to get the rabbit vaccinated.

I always get silly flying bugs through my windows when I open them, so I wouldn't risk not having mine done. It never even crossed my mind not to have them done

It really depends what your rabbits might encounter- they might be safe day to day in the house but is there a chance you will ever want to take them out into your garden? Might you send them to a cattery whilst you are on holiday (this one is essential because here they will be in a run previously inhabited by other unknown rabbits and also be surrounded by unknown rabbits)? You really just need to think about the situation you are in and what the rabbits could come into contact with- is the risk worth it? That's up to you.

Back