• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 questions and funny experience

lucy24

Mama Doe
so been to the vets for bluebell and lillys jabs and nail trim- bluebell is lethal! her paws were grabbing my top lower and lower trying to escape whilst getting caught in my hair and i was continually apologizing to the vet for them being naughty:oops: then during the nail trim i nearly lost a few fingers...

they would not let the vet check their teeth with that weird tool they use but the vet said the jaw felt nice and smooth so not to worry as they have no other problems healthwise.

im shattered from wrestling to keep them on the table and trying to not get bitten! Lilly would never bite despite being wriggliy at times but blue is so timid and i cant understand why.

so 2 questions:

1) they have put on 100 grams each since last spring so weigh 1.88kg and 1.72kg. they are not overweight as the vet said thier shape is good but i was told to keep an eye as we dont want them putting on an y more. they only eat hay, grass, veg but not everyday, and pellets. so do i stop the pellets altogether or just reduce the ammount? i usually give a handfull between them.

2) as regards bluebells timidness, how can i help her with this? she doesn't like being stroked unless shes eating or distracted, otherwise she moves to the back of the huch where i cant reach or runs away. lilly is quite happy being stroked and will come up to the front all the time. i just dont want blue being afraid all the time.

That sounds the same amount I feed mine. How much exercise do they get. Do they have a run around or do they just potter about?

I would say you need a bit more patients with Bluebell, maybe going to her hutch and giving her a treat without touching her at all may help so she feels that when you come along it doesn't mean you want to touch her automatically you just bring nice things? Also spending time just sitting quietly with her will help. Rabbits are nosy and don't like to be ignored :D So if you do things that will make her come to you instead of you going to her the rest will follow

how old are they ( is they were babies last year they would have grown) if not then im not sure why but if they vet said they are in good shape then i wouldn't cutt down there food. just keep an eye on there weight and if it continues to go up then think about cutting back :thumb:

they are 2 years old this year so perhaps they have just grown- they have a 8x6 run but they dont move around alot- however when i let them free range which is at least once a week for a few hrs they binky and run like mad! alo they used to be with their sister but she was bullying them and has been rehomed- maybe she was hogging the food before?

i will do as you suggest as regards Bluebell thank you :)

Back