• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental bunny advice

pooks

Warren Scout
Hi

I have a dental bunny and was wondering what people have managed to get them to eat? He currently eats grated carrot, chopped apple and junior/dwarf pellets. Obviously this diet is far from the ideal and I'm wondering what people have found works for them? Tonight I have tried finely chopping coriander, parsley and curly kale but I won't know til morning if it will work!
Any ideas?

'Dental Bunny' covers a very broad spectrum of issues !! Can you be a bit more specific ? For example is he an incisorless Rabbit with 'OKish' molars ?

Is his Dental Disease congenital or acquired ?

Dental abscesses ?

Osteomyelitis ?

Having a bit more information may enable us to offer more appropriate suggestions re his diet :)

To try to increase his overall fibre intake in the absence of hay (if he cant eat that) then you could try Fibafirst, you could crush the sticks up if he cant manage to eat them whole

http://www.supremepetfoods.com/fiba-first-2/

Also, since what is lacking in his diet is the hay- you might try replacing one of his greens with diced up grass because it would be higher in fiber and less rich than the other greens humans like to eat and closer to a natural diet for a rabbit.

We feed Scarlet supreme recovery food on top of her normal rations. It really helps keep her weight up.

Carrots and fruit are very high in sugar and not ideal for bunnies.

My bun is dental needing work done every 6 weeks, she has limited pellets, Timothy hay, excel foraging hay, meadow hay and fresh greens like kale, herbs etc.
she has the occasional carrot or piece of fruit like strawberries.

On top of all this I pick dandelions and branches off an apple tree for her and grass.

I can't say any of it helps a great deal, you can take a horse to water as the saying goes. But she does nibble we way through.
Maybe if you limit the goodies you feed it will encourage yor bun to eat the more tougher foods. Pellets are very easy and require minimal effort to eat. They need to eat tougher fibrous foods to wear their little toothy pegs down.

But it does really depend on what teeth are effected? Molars or incisors.

Incisors are easier to manage then molars, but if a bun is in pain no matter what you feed them they will slowly stop eating xx

I've only had him 2 days and is seeing a bunny vet on Tuesday with a view to dental if required. I'm have no idea how bad his teeth are or which molars are affected (incisors ok though). He won't eat much in the way of veg - have got him to nibble a bit and I'm well aware that carrot and apple are high in sugar but he won't eat much else. Jane I will try breaking up the fibafirst as I have those.
Thank you

Molly had 3 dentals in 3 1/2 months.
I got some good advice on here.
She was on a mix rabbit food.Switched to Science selective.
She free ranges a lot so likes to graze on grass , but now collect
dandelion leaves and bramble leaves as well as the roughness helps grind the teeth.
And encourage a lot more hay eating.Orchard hay is recommended
Touch wood her teeth are ok at present.
My sign with her is dribbling ,then I know she needs to see the vet.
Probably still need dentals but space in between hopefully longer with her change of diet.

Last edited:
Back