• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is complementary treatment?

aaammmyyy

Mama Doe
im trying to set up some rabbit insurance for both buns

i went to pet plan and it was £13.46 per bun per month

and on helpucover its £10.29 per bun per month

i've read terms and conditions of both and i think i want to go with helpucover

£2000 a year towards vetinary fees and £750 toward complimentary treatment
but what is complementary treatment?

it says any complementary treatment your vet recommends up to £750 per policy year;
what if my vet was to recommend vaccines?
or spays?

because the girls need doing but both insurance says it doesn't cover it, but what if the vet was to recommend it?
they had their first vaccination before we got them but their booster is needed in june

so basically.. what is complementary treatment
i could just be reading something wrong but im not too sure:lol:

vaccination and spays are seen as routine and preventative treatment, therefore are not covered. In fact, if a rabbit is not vaccinated, that can affect what you are covered for.

Complementary treatment is something like hydro-therapy, acupuncture, homeopathy etc. Stuff that your normal vet doesn't do but may refer you for if needed.

im trying to set up some rabbit insurance for both buns

i went to pet plan and it was £13.46 per bun per month

and on helpucover its £10.29 per bun per month

i've read terms and conditions of both and i think i want to go with helpucover

£2000 a year towards vetinary fees and £750 toward complimentary treatment
but what is complementary treatment?

it says any complementary treatment your vet recommends up to £750 per policy year;
what if my vet was to recommend vaccines?
or spays?

because the girls need doing but both insurance says it doesn't cover it, but what if the vet was to recommend it?
they had their first vaccination before we got them but their booster is needed in june

so basically.. what is complementary treatment
i could just be reading something wrong but im not too sure:lol:

I had the exact same question earlier while looking up the same insurance policies :lol: I'm not 100% sure but I think complementary treatment would be thinks like acupuncture, homeopathy, reiki or other alternative methods of treating an animal. But again, think is just what I could gather from what I've been trying to find out today :D

Complimentary treatment is things like acupuncture, or hydro therapy. Say a rabbit has arthritis and is on anti-inflamatries and pain relief, that is the main treatment. A vet may however recomend acupuncture for your rabbit as well, that would be complimentary treatment as it works with the main treatment but probably couldn't replace it.

Vaccinations, spays ect are known as elective treatments as they are the owners choice. Yes they are very necessary but it is still your choice to get it done. They are the basic costs of having a rabbit, along with things like housing as food.

All my pets are with petplan, they are slightly more expensive but you may find that your vet will work with petplan, meaning that if you were to need to make a claim you would only have to pay the excess to the vets and they will claim the rest straight from petplan. With other insurers you have to pay the vet bills yourself then claim the money back from the insurance. Personally I'd rather pay the extra few pounds and not end up having to fork out hundreds (or thousands) if anything should happen, but not all vets work with petplan, if yours doesn't then it doesn't make it worth the extra money!

I had the exact same question earlier while looking up the same insurance policies :lol: I'm not 100% sure but I think complementary treatment would be thinks like acupuncture, homeopathy, reiki or other alternative methods of treating an animal. But again, think is just what I could gather from what I've been trying to find out today :D

I saw your post and it inspired me to read the terms and conditions of quotes I got the other day :lol: :roll:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Things like acupuncture, hydrotherapy etc

vaccination and spays are seen as routine and preventative treatment, therefore are not covered. In fact, if a rabbit is not vaccinated, that can affect what you are covered for.

Complementary treatment is something like hydro-therapy, acupuncture, homeopathy etc. Stuff that your normal vet doesn't do but may refer you for if needed.

Thankyou, the buns vaccinations have 2 months left so I assume whe /if I so Insure them id have to put away money for them-im not too sure how much they cost though, because the first set were already done when we got them :s

Thankyou, the buns vaccinations have 2 months left so I assume whe /if I so Insure them id have to put away money for them-im not too sure how much they cost though, because the first set were already done when we got them :s

Mine cost £30 each I think. Ring your vet and ask as I.believe they all charge differently

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

Complimentary treatment is things like acupuncture, or hydro therapy. Say a rabbit has arthritis and is on anti-inflamatries and pain relief, that is the main treatment. A vet may however recomend acupuncture for your rabbit as well, that would be complimentary treatment as it works with the main treatment but probably couldn't replace it.

Vaccinations, spays ect are known as elective treatments as they are the owners choice. Yes they are very necessary but it is still your choice to get it done. They are the basic costs of having a rabbit, along with things like housing as food.

All my pets are with petplan, they are slightly more expensive but you may find that your vet will work with petplan, meaning that if you were to need to make a claim you would only have to pay the excess to the vets and they will claim the rest straight from petplan. With other insurers you have to pay the vet bills yourself then claim the money back from the insurance. Personally I'd rather pay the extra few pounds and not end up having to fork out hundreds (or thousands) if anything should happen, but not all vets work with petplan, if yours doesn't then it doesn't make it worth the extra money!

Ive just checked my vets website and they are working with pet plan, grrr haha!;)
I have money put away ATM for vet treatment if needed, but I will carry on putting money into the account for the spays, im so nervous to get them done but its all the benefits they get from it! :)

Guess ill just pay the extra £6 a month, ill go to my vets sometime next week and get them to talk me through it because I dont completely understand oops haha

Back