• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing?!

My female rabbit Zoe was born on 16th Jan 2014. I got her last Thursday, she is eating fine, partly toilet trained and enjoys running around.

However I have two concerns.
The first is that she has mini sneezing fits. She only ever does this when in her cage (she's only here at night and when my other rabbit is out- they take it in turns)
She doesn't seem to have any other symptoms etc. I'm just concerned and don't know what it could be 😞

My second one is just a silly little thing, she's still extremely nervous around me and won't eat from my hand or let me stroke her etc. even when I move near her she runs and hides.
My other rabbit was nothing like this and I'm worried she doesn't like me... Does anyone have any advice?

Thankyou! 🐰💚

The sneezing issue I don't really.know much about, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can help you out.

As for her liking you, she may just be a more nervous rabbit. Rather than going to her (which will scare her) let her come to you. Try sitting/lying on the floor, completely ignoring her. If she comes over, don't reach out to her, let her investigate and explore you. She'll get used to you eventually.

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

My female rabbit Zoe was born on 16th Jan 2014. I got her last Thursday, she is eating fine, partly toilet trained and enjoys running around.

However I have two concerns.
The first is that she has mini sneezing fits. She only ever does this when in her cage (she's only here at night and when my other rabbit is out- they take it in turns)
She doesn't seem to have any other symptoms etc. I'm just concerned and don't know what it could be 

My second one is just a silly little thing, she's still extremely nervous around me and won't eat from my hand or let me stroke her etc. even when I move near her she runs and hides.
My other rabbit was nothing like this and I'm worried she doesn't like me... Does anyone have any advice?

Thankyou! 

What substrate do you use in the cage?

She's just nervous. The solution is time really! :) I adopted Rose when she was about 10/12 weeks old and the first couple of days she'd run and hide as soon as she saw me! Now, about 8 months on, she's the one that frightens me when she suddenly binkys and crashes about. :lol: she seems to only be comfortable enough around me though. She's still nervous of other people; it's who she is.

The sneezing issue I don't really.know much about, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can help you out.

As for her liking you, she may just be a more nervous rabbit. Rather than going to her (which will scare her) let her come to you. Try sitting/lying on the floor, completely ignoring her. If she comes over, don't reach out to her, let her investigate and explore you. She'll get used to you eventually.

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

Okay thankyou I'll try that 😄💚

What substrate do you use in the cage?

She's just nervous. The solution is time really! :) I adopted Rose when she was about 10/12 weeks old and the first couple of days she'd run and hide as soon as she saw me! Now, about 8 months on, she's the one that frightens me when she suddenly binkys and crashes about. :lol: she seems to only be comfortable enough around me though. She's still nervous of other people; it's who she is.

I use back to nature bedding the grey pellet stuff and 'meadow hay' she also has an old cushion cover in there to snuggle on. She eats pets at home junior and dwarf pellets as well as hay and different veggies everyday. I thought maybe she had a cold so I've put some vitamins in her water.
I'm worried I just hope she's okay 😞

And okay haha it's just she's so completely different to Barney! X

I use back to nature bedding the grey pellet stuff and 'meadow hay' she also has an old cushion cover in there to snuggle on. She eats pets at home junior and dwarf pellets as well as hay and different veggies everyday. I thought maybe she had a cold so I've put some vitamins in her water.
I'm worried I just hope she's okay 

And okay haha it's just she's so completely different to Barney! X

Are they quite dusty?
Otherwise, I'd keep an eye on it. If is persists I'd suggest a trip to the vet. As far as I'm aware rabbits can't get colds in the same way humans can, i.e viruses.

Same with mine! Haha, Humphrey my other rabbit gets annoyed because I won't let him sit on my shoulder/head (he uses me as a platform to jump on a shelf but he's not that agile :roll:)!
Who knows, she might get there one day!

Yeah rabbits can't get colds.

Could be anything, snuffles, dust, dental issues.. Is there any discharge coming from her nose? I agree with Azucena, a vet trip might be needed soon to get to the bottom of it before it gets worse.

When you say
(she's only here at night and when my other rabbit is out- they take it in turns)
do you mean indoors from outside?

Back