• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bit confused about Insurance

Nic.

Warren Scout
I want to get pet insurance for my two bunnies ASAP. But I'm a bit confused how it all works. I'm trying to decide which one is best first, so far I've been looking at helpucover and Petplan. Petplan is quite expensive so helpucover would be much more affordable for me but I really want to get the one that's going to be most beneficial in the long run if I end up having to make claims. Anyone have any experience with helpucover? I know alot of people recommend Petplan.

I'm also wondering how all this exclusions stuff works. When we first had Lana she was sneezing alot so she was taken to the vet who said she had Snuffles (had no idea what it was then and he explained it just like it was a cold), he gave her some antibiotics and then it cleared up in about a week. So I'm not really sure if she actually had snuffles. If I get pet insurance are they going to not pay out for any treatment she may need in the future for snuffles if she happened to get it, because she's already been treated for it before?

This stuff all confuses me, but I've become really worried one of the bunnies will need emergency treatment or something and I know I couldn't be able to afford it so want to get this all sorted out as soon as I can.

Yes you're right, any illness they have already had treatment for will not be covered by the insurance. But everything else should be covered. Petplan are great, all 5 of mine are insured with them and they've paid out a fortune, no questions. If you don't have much money, it is even more important to insure them so you know they can have any treatment they need and you don't need to worry x

I use helpucover for two of mine and they've been brilliant. One of mine has tooth root problems which has resulted in us claiming over £1000 in less than a year and they've always paid out quickly and without any questions, never had a problem with them :) would definitely recommend them!

Ah I can't decide! I hear good things about both and they seem to cover the same kind of things and work similarly. Helpucover is cheaper so I like that about it but Petplan is so popular and well known it makes you assume it's gonna be better :lol:

I'm with helpucover who paid out nearly £2000 quickly and with no issues when Charlie broke his leg. Can't fault them

I'm with Petplan, haven't had to use them though lol I did use them for my dog, and they paid the vet directly, no fuss at all

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

A couple of things you need to look at:

Who covers for the LIFETIME of the pet, not just until they reach 5 or similar.
How much your excess will be
How much they'll give you per year

Pet plan at the moment are doing a multi pet discount and an online discount I believe.

I personally prefer Pet Plan but that's just me :)

A couple of things you need to look at:

Who covers for the LIFETIME of the pet, not just until they reach 5 or similar.
How much your excess will be
How much they'll give you per year

Pet plan at the moment are doing a multi pet discount and an online discount I believe.

I personally prefer Pet Plan but that's just me :)

Thanks, these are good tips :D They're both lifetime, and both pay out the same. PetPlan's excess is £55 compared to helpucover's £45. I can't really find a detailed PetPlan terms and conditions list to properly compare both of the companies, but on the face of it they seem almost identical, if that turns out to be the case I'll probably go with helpucover :D

What things do helpucover not cover?

The only thing petplan don't cover is routine stuff (nail clipping/vaccs etc) and standard dentals. Having said that, they have covered dentals for me when they have been done due to another condition e.g. Barney's chronic weightloss/gut illeus. Here are the terms and conditions: http://www.petplan.co.uk/assets/pdf/PP_CFL_TCs.pdf

Some companies don't cover anything to do with teeth, and don't cover things like flystrike either, so it is important to read the terms and conditions carefully.

You should also speak to them about the exclusions. Your rabbit won't be insured for anything connected to her 'snuffles' outbreak, which may or may not extend to other things like eye problems and respiratory problems - you'll need to ask them. Sometimes conditions are excluded forever, other times they say they will cover it after it has not recurred for a year/2 years etc. Their decisions on this would make a massive difference to the cover you have.

What things do helpucover not cover?

The only thing petplan don't cover is routine stuff (nail clipping/vaccs etc) and standard dentals. Having said that, they have covered dentals for me when they have been done due to another condition e.g. Barney's chronic weightloss/gut illeus. Here are the terms and conditions: http://www.petplan.co.uk/assets/pdf/PP_CFL_TCs.pdf

Some companies don't cover anything to do with teeth, and don't cover things like flystrike either, so it is important to read the terms and conditions carefully.

You should also speak to them about the exclusions. Your rabbit won't be insured for anything connected to her 'snuffles' outbreak, which may or may not extend to other things like eye problems and respiratory problems - you'll need to ask them. Sometimes conditions are excluded forever, other times they say they will cover it after it has not recurred for a year/2 years etc. Their decisions on this would make a massive difference to the cover you have.

Thanks for that ,going to properly compare the two now. Helpucover don't cover dentals unless the rabbit has been insured over 2 years and treatment is purely to relieve suffering I think. They will cover the first case of flystrike but none after that. The snuffles thing is kind of annoying because I'm pretty sure she didn't even have it, the vet wasn't that experienced with rabbits anyway and looking back, it definitely doesn't seem like it was snuffles for me. It was only a few sneezes, no nasal discharge and it's never come back. Anyway, I'll have a proper look into both now. Thanks :)

Back