• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do older bunnies still binky?

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
It occurred to me the other day that I haven't seen Honey binky in ages. The youngest she could possibly be is 7 but she could be 8 as we got her in July 2008 and she was listed on the rescues website as being 1-2 years old. We know that she had a litter before coming into the rescue as we met her former owner by chance.

She still seems very well in herself, in fact she hasn't had any stasis episodes for over a year now when she'd previously been very prone to them. her coat is in good condition, she has a healthy appetite and she still enjoys constructing the odd burrow in the garden. I'm just wondering if she's just slowing down a bit or if she's just not as happy as she used to be. :(

Sometimes arthritic changes occur in older Rabbits so they may not do full on Binkies as a result. Many will 'head Binky' though, they sort of throw their head up/back xx

Fiver is 6 now and has pretty bad arthritis but he still does full on binkies. :lol: He doesn't do them as often as he used to but obviously still enjoys life. Could she maybe be feeling a bit stiff? One reason I noticed Fiver's arthritis is because he wasn't as active as usual and was occasionally showing signs of pain. He's never had mobility issues, he just seemed a bit "down".

I have three buns and Xena (my doe) never really binkies unless she goes in the garden. Even then it's only half hearted. :lol: She happy flops all the time, though, so I know she is happy. :)

If your bun used to be very active and binky a lot, it might be worth mentioning that she's slowed down next time she is at the vets and just ask them to give her a check over. Even without an xray, you can usually tell if they have arthritis or pain in their joints from a bit of manipulation.

:wave:

My older bunnies binky. It does depend on the bunny, though. Norris binkied every day, usually when he knew he was going to be fed.

If I am worried about my bunnies, I try to treat them to something that would make them sillyhappy. Norris loved fleecey blankies. He would dig on them and then flop. In the late evenings, feeling the fleece beneath his feet would make him binky and zoom! He would often binky against the radiator making a clanging noise!

Exploring something new and interesting can make somebunny binky.

My house bunnies binky when they smell the fresh air in the evenings. I try to open the french windows at around 11pm so that they are inspired to binky. I sit outside in my garden and watch the show!

My housbun is in his 9th year and he still does the leap in the air and twist binkies although only when its sunny:roll: He does alot of the head twitching and body shiver when he is happy.
You haven't changed your flooring have you because we moved house a few months ago into one that is all wood floors with rugs and bun does not like the shiny wood at all and tiptoes across it like a prima ballerina. If he forgets and runs up to us for food he sails past us with all four feet perfectly still and a surprised look on his face - poor boy. So he does less binkies in the new house because he can't scream around on carpets.

Sometimes arthritic changes occur in older Rabbits so they may not do full on Binkies as a result. Many will 'head Binky' though, they sort of throw their head up/back xx

She does still head binky quite a bit, come to think of it she didn't do too many full-on binkies even when she was younger. I might mention it to the vet next time we're in and see what they think.

bunkin our bunnies are outdoors so they've had the same flooring all the time we've had them pretty much.:D

My housbun is in his 9th year and he still does the leap in the air and twist binkies although only when its sunny:roll: He does alot of the head twitching and body shiver when he is happy.
You haven't changed your flooring have you because we moved house a few months ago into one that is all wood floors with rugs and bun does not like the shiny wood at all and tiptoes across it like a prima ballerina. If he forgets and runs up to us for food he sails past us with all four feet perfectly still and a surprised look on his face - poor boy. So he does less binkies in the new house because he can't scream around on carpets.

:p;)

Iggy didn't full on binky but he was always wriggling his head and whopping great ears about looking pleased! He had some arthritis towards the end. I think he stopped full on binkying about 7 years old but still used to try to run about wriggling :D

Yes they do but not as often in my experience. My ten year olds have done it but when they free range they prefer sit and soak up the sun these days. One of them loves to lie by the radiator and warm himself like a cat would. They just seem to take life at a slower pace and enjoy their comforts more. Also as Jane said if they are ill or more arthritic then they can't always physically achieve a binky or even a jump.

She does still head binky quite a bit, come to think of it she didn't do too many full-on binkies even when she was younger. I might mention it to the vet next time we're in and see what they think.

bunkin our bunnies are outdoors so they've had the same flooring all the time we've had them pretty much.:D

:roll: Why on earth did I think yours were house rabbits.
I now have image of rabbit hutches with wall to wall carpeting!

Pip is at least 7 years old and of late she's been surprising me with a lot of early morning head binkies and popcorn hops. I honestly think it'd go to full on binkies if she didn't have so much of her holding her back from lift off. :roll:

Even Mimzy, same age, with his residual tilt has been known to throw the odd binky, but it usually ends up with him having to sit a few minutes afterwards to get his bearings. His balance is still way off.

Fiver is just about 6 or 7 and his specialty is zooms. He sits and thinks about it for a minute and then suddenly he's off tearing around. It's hilarious how he'll end it with a sideways hop. And of course it always happens when my camera is nowhere nearby. :( Sometimes he'll do it on command too if I tell him, "Fiver, go 'wheee!'" in a high pitched voice. :lol:

No doubt though that all my buns are much more inclined to find a nice spot to nap most of their day away these days and pretty much all of them are arthritic or getting there. Now that the sun is coming up earlier and going to bed later it must really confuse their normal schedules, too.

Pip is at least 7 years old and of late she's been surprising me with a lot of early morning head binkies and popcorn hops. I honestly think it'd go to full on binkies if she didn't have so much of her holding her back from lift off. :roll:

Even Mimzy, same age, with his residual tilt has been known to throw the odd binky, but it usually ends up with him having to sit a few minutes afterwards to get his bearings. His balance is still way off.

Fiver is just about 6 or 7 and his specialty is zooms. He sits and thinks about it for a minute and then suddenly he's off tearing around. It's hilarious how he'll end it with a sideways hop. And of course it always happens when my camera is nowhere nearby. :( Sometimes he'll do it on command too if I tell him, "Fiver, go 'wheee!'" in a high pitched voice. :lol:

No doubt though that all my buns are much more inclined to find a nice spot to nap most of their day away these days and pretty much all of them are arthritic or getting there. Now that the sun is coming up earlier and going to bed later it must really confuse their normal schedules, too.

:wave:These are the secret ways of rabbits that many people never come to appreciate! I love the thought of Fiver dashing off on command. I also think your description of rabbits sitting and thinking before zooming is excellent! :love:

this is what my old girl rosie used to do, she looked like she was smiling to :love:

I've got oldies who binky like crazy and young buns that can't be bothered to do much more than head binky. I think it's very individual to the bun. If she has changed though it may be worth a vet check to rule out arthritis.

My older bun Harry didn't do binkies as much, he was quite a slow character in general. He used to do more of a skip when he was hopping around. :wave:

ETA: Ludo is a head binkier sometimes, so I agree each bun has their own binky! :lol:

Back