• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Conti's and life span.

luna

Mama Doe
So I know contis and other giant breeds have a shorter life span than smaller rabbits but is this always true?

Out of curiosity does anyone have a giant breed that has lived to ten years or more ? Would love a conti some day :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

There is a conti in my local rescue and it says on her profile that their life span is 5 to 7 years :(

A conti crossed with something may have a longer life span and still be all big and lovely :D

Generally, the bigger the bun the shorter it's lifespan since there's more strain on the heart. If you could find a small conti or contiX you should have more years with it :wave:

There is a conti in my local rescue and it says on her profile that their life span is 5 to 7 years :(

That's about right.

My friend's conti (Kevin) made 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Several frenchies from the breeder I got Sapphire from have made it to 8 (and one is still going) so I am hopeful :)

Several frenchies from the breeder I got Sapphire from have made it to 8 (and one is still going) so I am hopeful :)

frenchies on average life a lot longer than conti/flemish/british giants because they're so much smaller, so you should have a good few years with sapphire yet :wave:

I am wondering now if the bunny in the rescue is a conti x because there is a pic of her in front of a cage and she is big but not massive. And she is an adult. I love frenchies too. My husband is put off by giant breeds though because I told him they can reach up onto counter tops and tables. Oops !

My Bigwig and Dillon (both contis) died at 4 years from heart related problems :(

By comparison the oldest bunny I have had (that I knew the age of - a German Lop) was ten and a half when he passed.

My Bigwig and Dillon (both contis) died at 4 years from heart related problems :(

By comparison the oldest bunny I have had (that I knew the age of - a German Lop) was ten and a half when he passed.

I'm sorry to hear that. 4 still seems quite young but I guess not in conti years. I don't know much about german lops but I would be happy if any of my buns lived to be ten. That's a great age :)

I am wondering now if the bunny in the rescue is a conti x because there is a pic of her in front of a cage and she is big but not massive. And she is an adult. I love frenchies too. My husband is put off by giant breeds though because I told him they can reach up onto counter tops and tables. Oops !

My Farore is a conti and is very small for her breed at only 4.5kgs, some dwarf lops can reach 3.5 easy without being overweight so she certainly isn't massive :p

It is possible she is a cross, she is a rescue so we can't know for sure and due to her size her vaccination card says conti cross. But her previous foster mummy (Catherine09 on here) and I both believe she is pure conti, just little. Her current vet agrees with us, there is also the fact that she is now on quite a high dose of pain relief for her arthritis :(

My Farore is a conti and is very small for her breed at only 4.5kgs, some dwarf lops can reach 3.5 easy without being overweight so she certainly isn't massive :p

It is possible she is a cross, she is a rescue so we can't know for sure and due to her size her vaccination card says conti cross. But her previous foster mummy (Catherine09 on here) and I both believe she is pure conti, just little. Her current vet agrees with us, there is also the fact that she is now on quite a high dose of pain relief for her arthritis :(

I guess that's the thing about rescues. It's hard to be 100% accurate about background.

I'm sorry to hear farore has arthritis. Is it a combination of age and size or do you know the cause ?

She certainly looks 100% conti. She's just a smaller version of Hector!! Poor girl with her arthritis. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awww :( poor Farore, she's gorgeous. I hope you have loads more years with her and they are pain free for her

Back