• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bottled water and dysbiosis...a connection?

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
Okay so over the last few months or more I've been dealing with bouts of dysbiosis with my three bunnies. I've tried everything dietary and medicinal and nothing helps.

Mimzy may have been dehydrated as adding a bit more veg to his daily intake and reintroducing him to a water bottle as well as his bowl may have helped him. Still working on perfecting the amount of greens. Too much or too little have the same effect.
Pip and Fiver cannot tolerate greens of any kind. Instant mucky bum.

Anyway, recently we ran out of the bottled water we normally use for them and substituted another brand. Well Fiver's dysbiosis has all but cleared up and now Pip, who was fine before has started having problems.

Anyone else notice a connection between bottled water and dysbiosis in bunnies? Or am I just nuts? It just seems too coincidental to me.

Thanks for reading. :)

This could be the issue.

We are lucky here that we just drink the tap water. I would have thought that tap water would have been fine where you are too?

Not certain about mineral content. Sadly the store has been out of their original water and I don't happen to have an empty bottle about. :(

Kermit we're on well water here and it's chock full of iron and rust. I hate washing in it and won't give it to my animals to drink. It's really nasty. I make sure their drinking implements are well dried before refilling them.

The nice thing about where we're moving is the well water there will be of better quality. My guess is I'll have to do some transitioning for the furbabies.

Many thanks for your replies. :)

The reason I asked is because around here you can buy loads of different brands of bottled water, and their mineral contents vary hugely (particularly calcium). I've had to explore all this with guinea pigs and bladder problems. We also have some brands of cheaper 'spring' water that have no mineral contents listed at all, which I'd never want to risk. I'd go for one with the lowest mineral content you can find.

Thank you Sarah. :)

Okay, found labels for all three types of bottled water, as follows:

Water A (original water-sometimes caused problems for Mimzy)
Ingredients: purified drinking water (by reverse osmosis) with selected minerals (sodium bicarbonate, sodium sulfate) added for taste. Mineral amounts are not nutritionally significant.

Water B (seems to cause Fiver's dysbiosis)
Says it's "bottled at source" in northern California. No ingredient info on label but you can look up their website. I did and couldn't find any info.

Water C (possibly causes Pip problems but not the other two)
Just says it's bottled in Canada, but the main facility is in California. Another website reference. :roll: This one is a big producer so their site is massive and any link you use to find mineral content just leads you around in circles to see their lovely heritage, history and quality, but no real info to be found although they say it's right there. I drink this water though and really like it compared to the other two. If it's not harming Fiver in any way I may have to keep using it for a bit until I can find something better. :(

ETA: Okay, finally found mineral content (abbreviated) but it's in a PDF and I don't want to load the whole thing here. Is there anything specific I should look for that would tell me if the water is not suitable?

The problem is, water A is only marginally available. So since it's not something I can get all the time, I'm at a loss. Is there a water filter I could use on the bottled water that wold make it safe for the bunnies to drink and not cause them more cecal trouble?

Last edited:
Back