• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why are all my bunnies never well? :o(

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
What am I doing wrong? There is always something wrong with at least one of them:( and at the moment not one out of five is as they should be. Barney has his unresolved tummy issues. Molly has mysterious pain from some unknown place. Olly has yet another bladder infection and his ears are playing up again. Daisy has had tummy problems over the past week, probably due to the spring grass/clover, even though they live outside and have been on the grass every single day over the winter. Digby is getting very arthritic in his old age and his tooth roots are starting to bother him again, but I'm scared of him having a GA as he isn't a spring chicken any more :( And Daisy and Digby are BOTH off their food for some reason - not very interested in pellets (soggy or dry); but most worryingly tonight they barely touched their tea, which they normally gobble up - spring greens, kale, watercress and parsley. The only thing they ate all of was the carrot slices. What on earth is going on?? Stressed is not the word.... :(

Oh, and Olly has left most of his supper too :( I don't need this right now.

Last edited:
Oh no... ripminni... :( I wish I had the answers, you've been through such a tough time with your bunny crew... But you are so, so dedicated and your bunnies are in good hands with you.

Just sending you (((hugs))) and some stay strong (((vibes))).xxx

Ps.. Just thinking, my bunnies seem to take longer eating pellets in warmer weather... Like it's too much effort... :roll: How's their hay munching and are they drinking anything/pooing ok?
I hope someone can help/advise soon.x

Last edited:
Oh no... ripminni... :( I wish I had the answers, you've been through such a tough time with your bunny crew... But you are so, so dedicated and your bunnies are in good hands with you.

Just sending you (((hugs))) and some stay strong (((vibes))).xxx

Ps.. Just thinking, my bunnies seem to take longer eating pellets in warmer weather... Like it's too much effort... :roll: How's their hay munching and are they drinking anything/pooing ok?
I hope someone can help/advise soon.x

Thank you :love: I went out to say goodnight to D&D and their tea had all gone - they are eating stuff eventually, they're just not really fussed about it, whereas normally they'd be really excited :? Maybe it's the warm weather - it still gets cold at night, but really warm in the day, which can't be good for them :(

Olly ate some more of his supper when I hand fed it to him :roll: but not all of it. Hay munching not bad but not great. Daisy's poops smaller than normal but she's been a bit poorly anyway so eating less :?

:wave: I think the change in daylight hours must be playing havoc with their appetites. As rabbits are most active at dusk and dawn this is now a different time of day since the clocks went forward.

Given that there has been one confirmed case of coccidiosis/E.Coli (Barney) then I do think you need to consider the possibility of a herd pathogen, even if the Rabbits are not living in a bonded group.

Having a lot of Rabbits is a joy but it does come with additional problems at times :cry:

I didn't realise barney had coccidiosis. Has he been retested and given the all clear and was Molly treated at the same time?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

I didn't realise barney had coccidiosis. Has he been retested and given the all clear and was Molly treated at the same time?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Yes he's been tested three times in total, his last test was clear for everything. Molly was treated too :wave: the exotics vet said the coccidia that were present may not even affect him, most rabbits carry them apparently, they were treated as a precaution. X

I really feel for you. We have had our fair share of issues with bobby recently. If he is not sick he is recovering from bite wounds inflicted by his wife and this has me really stressed out. I can't imagine what it must be like to have a few pets ill at the same time :(

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Its hard when multiple bunnies are off colour - I usually find the emotional toll of it all is the hardest.

Maybe because we are more clued up we recognise things quicker, maybe because we have more bunnies there are higher odds of illness, I like to think that my bunnies would always be ill whomever they are with and that it is a kind of fate they are in my life because I will do the best for them.

I have trouble dealing with just one ill pet, I cannot imagine all of them at once. ((((((Huge hugs)))))))
Sending healing vibes to all your dear ones and hoping they will all be better soon. xxxx

I am sorry you are having such a tough time. I can empathise - all my five too are not tucking into food as much as they would normally do. There is nothing I can put my finger on but they all seem out of sorts. As Rosie, Holiie and Gabe are 7 this year, and BJ 8 I wonder if they are just slowing down with age.

Sending loads of vibes for your crew, and hugs for you xx

Its hard when multiple bunnies are off colour - I usually find the emotional toll of it all is the hardest.

Maybe because we are more clued up we recognise things quicker, maybe because we have more bunnies there are higher odds of illness, I like to think that my bunnies would always be ill whomever they are with and that it is a kind of fate they are in my life because I will do the best for them.[/QUOTE

I think Amy104 has it exactly right, because we care so much and have far more knowledge than many rabbit owners, we're far more in tune to our buns are 'not right'. I'm having a nightmare with mine at the moment, Nancy is having the most horrendous moult I've ever known, I'm convinced she's providing nest lining for all the local birds, and poor Will has very furry poops from time to time last night he was tummy pressing, didn't eat and just sat still even when on the lawn. I was about to take him to the vets when he suddenly started eating hay and pooping. But, had I not found you all I wouldn't have had a clue he was under the weather and wouldn't have been thinking 'stasis, metacam gut stimulant, I would have thought he was full up and relaxing. :oops:

I'm so sorry you're still having a bad time. Mega vibes for all your buns and a hug for you.:love:

Thank you everyone :wave: everybun is a little better today. Olly is on antibiotics for his bladder infection and ate most of his supper tonight. Daisy and Digby also tucked into their tea with more enthusiasm - i think maybe they weren't keen on the last batch of greens etc, as i got them from somewhere different... :? fussy bunnehs :roll: Barney has just given my face a very thorough washing, he gets right in the corners of my eyes and shoves his nose right in my face :love: he's so so lovely :love: I seem to have his pain under control now, with his diet and his meds. He used to spend most of the early evening lying or hunched in pain, squinty eyes and grinding teeth. There is none of that now. I just wish he could eat more foods! And have somebun to snuggle again. He deserves lots of snuggles. Molly looks like she wants snuggles but gets scared and runs off :( but things are not so bad today. Thanks for all the good wishes :love:

Awwwww. I know it's hard but you are doing a great job :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel your pain. I only have 2 now but with blossoms regular dentals and berrys arthritis, I have a constant nagging worry. It is stressful but you are so caring with them and with many other owners they may not be around at all still!

Your babies sound delightful - full of character - nose rubs all round. X x

Molly has actually started doing little binkies the last few days :love: it's so good to know she's feeling happier. But it also makes me feel like the most evil person in the world, as I cannot keep her or Barney :cry:

Back