• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

**UPDATE** Gizmo started drinking :)

bunnylover4

Warren Scout
** ORIGINAL POST **Gizmo has had major surgery to remove an abscess from his middle ear and skull... He is struggling and we aren't sure if it will work :cry: however that's a separate post in health :roll:

The problem we have is although gizmo is eating fairly well he won't drink at all . I am syringe feeding him water and giving him grass dandelions veg etc but I am not convinced he is getting enough. The vet said he needs about 100mls ..... I am managing about 20 for the day :shock: he spits it out. He has to go vets tomorrow to have his penicillin so will mention it but just wondered if anyone has any suggestions. I will do whatever is needed. He is on Metacam, baytril celclopride (gut stimulant) and penacilin . The vet said if he is weeing it's good but it's not nice forcing water down his neck :(

** UPDATE 20/04/2014 **

Just a quick update that after trying many different ideas provided up you lot on here Gizmo is finally drinking. Our vet said the same as Jacks Jane "he may not be thirsty because of being on iv fluids and because of what he was getting from all the added veg and grass " For two days I spent every couple of hours syringe feeding him 5mls of water , but I knew I couldn't keep doing that . So my OH came up with the idea of taking gizmo down to his normal hutch for breakfast [as normally he would eat preen drink sleep] so he took him down and fed all four bunnies as normal and sure enough gizmo drank:roll::roll::roll: that bunny lol......he is now drinking in his hospital indoors hutch and out in his normal hutch. All is looking up for our little fluff ball :thumb:

Last edited:
Wet his grass, dandelions, and veg is he's eating well. It won't be much, but more than he's getting at the moment

Hope he recovers soon x

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

The vet can give fluids under the skin, and could also hospitalise him and put him on a drip.

Make sure you offer both a bowl and bottle, and change it at least 3 times a day to prevent it getting stale.

If his tummy isn't bad, he may take to a bit of juice in his water bowl, carrot would probably be best as it is a strong smell and taste. But if his tummy isn't well the extra sugar may not be a good idea. I did this when Barney refused to eat after his neuter and it worked, although after a week of it I had to wean him off it as he still refused to drink normal water. He would take the syringe willingly when there was something nice in it - it was like a treat.

edit: also, soak any veg in water so he gets more moisture from that, and you can add water to pellets too, so they are like a mash.

Last edited:
He has a bowl and bottle and normally he drinks from both but since surgery he hasn't wanted to know. I will keep persevering with syringe water into him. At least I know he is getting some then. I will also soak the veg etc . I don't really want him admitted as he will get too stressed and it could set him back also his bunny wife wouldn't cope in the vets with him or at home on her own for the whole Easter weekend as she is a gut stasis bunny so would be a nightmare. It's bad enough having to separate them at night to stop her nibbling his stitches .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It may be worth trying that Pro c probiotic powder, you mix it with their water. I've read on here that some peoples buns love it and drink like fishes! You can get it from p@h.
I do hope your little man feels better soon x

Some good suggestions already.

It may also be worth asking your vet tomorrow about sub-cut fluids and if you would be allowed to do them at home yourself if they show you how to do it. Only if you are confident to do it though (my hubby would do it :oops: but I couldn't)

Some really good suggestions already given but I just wanted to add some vibes & hope you get more fluids in him soon. The only other thing I can think is just keep syringe feeding small amounts of water more frequently, though I know that would be stressful for both of you.

Try drizzling a little tepid water on his front paws and on his ears, bunnies nearly always want to keep themselves clean, so will lick themselves clean and this will hopefully will take increase his fluid intake. Not a vast amount, but anything is better than nothing.

Best of luck.

Wet his grass, dandelions, and veg is he's eating well. It won't be much, but more than he's getting at the moment

Hope he recovers soon x

Actually, if you can offer him wetted parsley, 'ribboned' cabbage and greens, carrots peelings soaked in water and wetted dandelions that will be quite a lot of extra fluid.

I put a small bowl of water next to Norris when he was poorly and I saw him drinking from it quite a lot.

Actually, if you can offer him wetted parsley, 'ribboned' cabbage and greens, carrots peelings soaked in water and wetted dandelions that will be quite a lot of extra fluid.

I put a small bowl of water next to Norris when he was poorly and I saw him drinking from it quite a lot.

I didn't mean soak it, just sprinkle a little bit on top

I didn't mean soak it, just sprinkle a little bit on top

I would run leafy greens under the tap and give them to the rabbit without drying.

With the carrots, make wide peelings with a speed peeler and then either do the same or soak them in water so that they absorb more.

I would run leafy greens under the tap and give them to the rabbit without drying.

With the carrots, make wide peelings with a speed peeler and then either do the same or soak them in water so that they absorb more.

Sorry, I thought you were saying it as a bad thing :lol:

Carrot

In most pet store/garden centres, you can buy a carrot drink by beaphar with vit. C :) it is also in a berry version, but not as much vit. C and sounds a bit too sugary in my opinion
It's much like human squash (you dilute it in water) :)
It's for sale in pets at home, and my male rabbit loves it :)
Good luck!
:) x

i have always had success with putting herbs in the water bowl. leave some stems sticking out and it doesn't matter if some fall in either because hopefully he will drink to reach them. i suspect that they would slightly flavour the water aswell.

Gizmo is drinking

Hi All

Thanks for all the advice. Gizmo has started drinking now :) and seems to be getting better every day. I think jacks jane was right he just wasn't thirsty that and a bit depressed from surgery.

Thank you all for your help and advice :wave:

Back