• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sick bunnie

sniffles

New Kit
Hi just got a new bunnie two wks ago. She was aprox 4/6 weeks. She was eating great mostly alfalfa small amount of pellets and small amount of fresh greens. then she started loosing hair so took her back to store they gave her oral ivermectin. 3 days later she is lethargic not eating. Take her to vet, he says she looks good slightly dehydrated. Bring her hm. The only way she eats is if i break up veggies in VERY small bites and i hand feed her. So i feed her like this all day yesterday. Finally she hadstool in the evening. Over night she did eat the salad i had chopped up VERY small but nothing else. And again hardly any stool in cage over night. All she will eat is the fresh greens and only if in VERY small bites, if they r normal size she chews then drops them. Her energy is slightly better but still not her happy energetic self:( please help any advice would be apreciated!!

Are you in the UK ?

A 4-6 week old Rabbit should still be with his/her mother, not on sale in a Petshop :cry:

What treatment did the Vet give ?

It could be that they gave too much ivermectin. Do you know what she weighs and how much of what ivermectin they gave her? Also did the vet check her teeth?
Are you in the US? I'm guessing you are.

I agree that it sounds like they may have overdosed her on the ivermectin, or it could have been a bad reaction to it. Do you know if they used a liquid or a paste? I'm not sure they should have even been giving ivermectin to such a young rabbit.

Is she eating enough on her own? If not, is the vet having you syringe feed?

Are you in the UK ?

A 4-6 week old Rabbit should still be with his/her mother, not on sale in a Petshop :cry:

What treatment did the Vet give ?

Agreed, she is a baby and perhaps without the immunity of an adult rabbit when having these strong meds.
Good luck ...

Her age is a guess. We dosed her according to weight. The vet did nothing he said he said he a thorough exam her teeth are fine. He said she was slightly dehydrated and said I could do Sub Q fluids. Which I am about to do!! She is kicking up her heels this afternoon but still not wanting to eat her hay at all.

I would try seeing if she will eat just a little bit of rolled oats- like 1/2 teaspoon- just to see if it will get her eating because rabbits love them. I would get her some Oxbow Critical Care (for sick bunnies) and feed it to her in a syringe. If she is not drinking at all I would also syringe feed her water- even if you are injecting her with fluids there needs to be fluids going through her digestive system to digest food- If a rabbit isn't drinking water it will not eat.

Back