• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My local Pets at Home....

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
has applied the 3 hop rule AND the standing up rule, with ALL there rabbit hutches, and they aren't selling anything smaller! :thumb:

It's the indoor cages that do my head in. They've had decent hutches for a while. I might see if I can have a chat with the manager at ours, he seems like a decent bloke.

I saw this too! They have all the right starting points; 3 hops, stretching, toys, food (still needs more work) and company, but they don't set the example, they sell baby rabbits in tiny adoption cages by themselves with no hay and a huge bowl of nuggets :(

It is a step in the right direction though :thumb:

Think mine must be the same! I noticed all the hutches looked better sized! :)
Not a big fan of p@h but the rabbits and guinea pigs get plenty of hay, fresh veg and don't seem to get unlimited nuggets - I feel a bit better about buying some stuff from there now! :)

Last time I popped in P@H to look at the bunnies a lady and her children were buying a bun, the P@H man sat them down with the bun on his lap and must have been chatting to them for about 20mins. I didn't want to stand to close to be nosy but I heard him saying rabbits may not take too kindly to being picked up and cuddled, how they like to live in pairs, must be neutered and vac and explained why. Had to walk away at that point but when walking back past he was talking and showing them how to check for fly strike! I was quite impressed

Last time I popped in P@H to look at the bunnies a lady and her children were buying a bun, the P@H man sat them down with the bun on his lap and must have been chatting to them for about 20mins. I didn't want to stand to close to be nosy but I heard him saying rabbits may not take too kindly to being picked up and cuddled, how they like to live in pairs, must be neutered and vac and explained why. Had to walk away at that point but when walking back past he was talking and showing them how to check for fly strike! I was quite impressed

Wow that's amazing! If only all pet shops did this! I think it's rare to get such good staff as that! We were in a P@H the other day and one poor bunny was being repeatedly errr...mated with. And on the head and everything. The worker thought it was acceptable to let the bun put up with that and said it was 'just what they do'...grrrrr.

Glad to see they're beginning to set a better example!

I had to report my local p@h as they had inadequate room for the 'rescued' rabbits and also flies in with them :cry: :-(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The downside of p@h is the 'puppy farm' style breeders that their animals come from ...

Do you used the portishead branch emmiee? As far as p@h go they are one of the better ones, They have some really knowledgeable staff there.

I walked past pah the other day, and seen these posters and the hutches that were outside were better than they used to have. I'd be happy if they stopped selling animals, and stopped selling those horrid little 'indoor cages' with bunnies.

Baby steps tho. Good on them!

Yeh baby steps. How long have they been trading? I just wish their breeding program was humane.

Do you used the portishead branch emmiee? As far as p@h go they are one of the better ones, They have some really knowledgeable staff there.

yea! I totally think its down to the staff!! The staff in portishead are very good and aren't just retail workers, they know there stuff! They spend ages with new pet owners, and have refused people if they are not right !

I've seen them refuse lots of oeople in there and when I accidentally on purpose listen to the advice they give new owners you can't fault it.

That's awesome. I think P@H are definitely making some improvements. The rabbits at my local one always have impeccably clean cages, lots of hay and fresh water. I'm not sure but I think they might have upped the price on the bunnies recently too which is good because it'll hopefully discourage some impulse buys. If only they'd make sure all their rabbits are 100% healthy before selling them, I wouldn't have much to complain about at all.

Good that P@H is making changes at last.

Wish they would only adopt out unwanted bunnies though, in twos, instead of selling babies.

Back