• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying a post-headtilt bunny?

Tracy

Warren Veteran
Would it be advisable?

I wouldn't personally take the risk, but I've never had a headtilt bunny myself so I don't know what the advice would be.

This is for a bunny I want to highlight in RIN soon, so just want to get my facts straight. :D

It depends on the current health of the Rabbit, the age, the actual cause of the headtilt.......

I would expect pre op bloods to be taken

I agree with Jane, I don't think it's a clear cut yes or no.

However, the recovery would be more challenging as the bunny is likely to be tilting worse and more disorientated directly after, due the anaesthetic.

When you say post head tilt how much of a tilt remains? Mischa had a couple of dentals/ops post head tilt but his tilt was more or less back to normal.

We didn't take the risk with our current girl. She had a hormone implant yesterday. However we did have Dave castrated with no problems x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Would it be advisable?

I wouldn't personally take the risk, but I've never had a headtilt bunny myself so I don't know what the advice would be.

This is for a bunny I want to highlight in RIN soon, so just want to get my facts straight. :D

What is RIN please?

Thanks everyone.

She has been left with a considerable headtilt, but she runs around, eats well and is a contented girl.

I am going to get some pics when I am at the rescue on Friday. I see her every week and I find it upsetting as I just feel like she will be there forever. She is a sweet girl, but she will always be overlooked as there are so many perfect bunnies to choose from. It takes a special person to choose a wonky bunny. :love:

She is one half of a bonded pair. Her friend is a castrated male.

What is RIN please?

'Rabbits in Need' section of the forum. Sorry, I should have perhaps put it in full.

Thanks everyone.

She has been left with a considerable headtilt, but she runs around, eats well and is a contented girl.

I am going to get some pics when I am at the rescue on Friday. I see her every week and I find it upsetting as I just feel like she will be there forever. She is a sweet girl, but she will always be overlooked as there are so many perfect bunnies to choose from. It takes a special person to choose a wonky bunny. :love:

If she is already bonded I would personally leave it but make sure they are rehomed as a pair :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks everyone.

'Rabbits in Need' section of the forum. Sorry, I should have perhaps put it in full.

Thank you :D

we have had a bun with severe head tilt spayed and she was fine .... also a boy with even worse head tilt was fine being neutered .

Back