• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

CareFRESH?

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
Does anyone use carefresh in their hutches? Is it a good choice?

I've been advised against using wood shavings as it causes respiratory issues? I'm looking for an alternative?

Wood shavings have been used for years so I had no idea they were supposedly so bad for them? :(

Only thing is I don't want to spend a fortune what I use. As I obviously use a fair amount to cover the bottom of the hutch.

Carefresh is good but you're right, it would work out quite expensive. Lots of use various horse beddings as an alternative because they come in bigger sacks & work out much cheaper - megazorb, fitch & finacard are a few that spring to mind. You'd still probably get through quite a bit still if you used it to line the whole hutch though.

Do your bunnies tend to toilet in one or two corners? Another alternative would be to provide a couple of litter trays for them - either large cat litter trays or you could use something like an underbed storage box if there's room in the hutch. You can line the litter tray with newspaper, megazorb or fitch and then put hay on top and just clean the litter trays out daily.

With the rest of the hutch, it's personal choice. I used to leave the floor of mine bare (mine are in a kennel and run now with a much larger floor area so there's no way I'd even think about covering the whole floor with bedding :lol::lol:) as it was protected with vinyl tiles & then gave them a couple of fleece blankets to rest on. In winter they also had a couple of cardboard boxes stuffed full of hay so that they could snuggle up if they wanted. If you have a look through the outdoor housing sticky, it'll give you some ideas of how to kit out the inside. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?311878-Outdoor-Housing :D

I use carfresh in my hamsters cage but it works out really expensive, she has to have it though because its rather soft on her leg!:)

It would work out really expensive for rabbits too
Id reccomend fitch bedding, id order it for skye but shes getting older and my rabbits would eat it :lol:
I believe its £17.99 for a bale including delivery and would last a long time
But carefresh is £5 for a tiny bag!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I use lino on the hutch floor and newspaper and hay in their litter trays (one per rabbit, 32litre underbed storage boxes).

Back