• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

first moron of Easter!

moi

Mama Doe
Yup, someone on my facebook has just bought a bunny for easter and if that's not bad enough its in a cage I'd put a hamster in! Arghhhhhh!

Always happens. Maybe this is worth a share on your page...

Easter Press Release

As our Pet Shops stock up on cute fluffy baby rabbits in the run up to Easter, over the next few weeks, thousands of people will be tempted to buy an Easter rabbit for their child, grandchild, niece, or nephew. And a few months from now, our local animal shelters will be, as they are every year, inundated by a flood of cast-off bunnies. Our local dedicated Rabbit Rescue, Buddies Bunny Rescue dreads this time of year, they are always full to capacity with unwanted rabbits & currently have a further 100 on their waiting lists but in the coming months the phone will be ringing off the hook with people looking to offload the soon to be unwanted Easter Bunny.
www.buddies.bunnies.co.uk

During 2012 alone, the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) revealed that there was an estimated 67,000 rabbits in rescue in the UK & the situation is only getting worse!
http://www.pressdispensary.co.uk/releases/c993542/Abandoned-rabbits---its-worse-than-we-thought.html

Rabbits Require Rights (Scotland) Scottish Registered Charity SCO44268 asks that everyone who is considering buying a rabbit this year stop and think about two important facts:

First, although rabbits can make wonderful pets, they are naturally fragile and timid and as such don’t make good pets for children. An active child who expects a cuddly pet can easily terrify or even injure a rabbit.

Second, a well cared for rabbit should live as long as large dog (ten years or more) and will require just as much love, attention, and veterinary care as a dog or cat would.

Rabbits are not a cheap, easy child friendly pet, they have specific needs which all too often go unheeded due to this outdated perception.

As highly active, social & agile animals owners need to provide a few basics to provide for their welfare needs; Rabbits need a large safe, secure living environment which should be accessible to them 24/7 & do not belong locked in a hutch at the bottom of the garden or an indoor cage.

As Herbivores they should be provided with the correct diet which, as natural grazers needs to be high in fibre & the mainstay of their diet should consist of Hay/Grasses (80% minimum).

Rabbits thrive on company of their own kind & do best living in pairs or larger groups (ALL neutered of course!) & all too often, expensive Veterinary treatments as their health issues can be complex & will need to be seen by an exotics (rabbit savvy) Vet.

It's not just potential owners we need to reach out to, our retailers simply need to take a more responsible stance during this holiday period & not encourage impulse buying of the UK's most neglect pet in the run up to Easter & limit the animals they have for sale during this time.

We no longer give Puppies For Christmas but still the Easter Bunny message is not getting through.

If you want to make a child’s Easter happy, don’t give a live rabbit unless you know it will be loved and cared for throughout its natural life and choose to adopt through rescue.

For a Happy Easter for both children & rabbits, give the gift of a toy or chocolate bunny instead.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net...8_10154039375650643_7455881295395963364_n.jpg

Might at least help them look after it correctly.

I shall do that. I've put various poster up but people like that don't listen. I shall have to refrain from putting the word 'idiot' on her wall! Lol x

Back