• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tibbsy has an abscess.

Alfagirl

Mama Doe
So, in the spirit of it never raining but pouring, now Tibbsy has had to have surgery today on a abscess on her jawline.

The vet said that it was very deep, but not huge, and because it was so deep he's not sure if it's gone into the bone, or just next to it.
They're keeping her in overnight as they've put some antibiotic powder in the hole and want to repeat this in the morning.
The vet told my husband that the antibiotic they've used is...
"Typically used in dogs and cats, quite bad for rabbits if taken orally, but we've had good results emptying the capsule straight in to the wound"

Does anyone have ANY idea what the antibiotic might be? Hubby didn't ask in all the stress!

Antirobe ??

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Pfizer_Limited/Antirobe_Capsules/-30237.html

Did the Vet get hubby to sign a disclaimer re using this type of abx ?

Thanks Jane, I've no idea what they're using, I guess we'll find out tomorrow?
C wasn't asked anything, though I think there's a disclaimer on the surgery form that includes post care.

Tibbsy has dealt with the GA very well and was up eating and drinking again pretty quickly (the girl loves her food!).

Awh I missed this last night. Poor Tibbsy, and poor you :( hope she feels better soon. Abscesses are so annoying :evil:! Nena sends abscess-y wishes!

Thanks girls!

She's back home this morning. The vet nurse commented on how moody she gets when she doesn't get her food immediately, so I'm pretty sure she's back to her usual self.:roll: Her and Echo were back to being friends as soon as she got home, so no issues there (Echo doesn't go to the vets with her as he's a car stress-head :roll:).

We've been given hibiscrub to keep the wound opening clean, but we don't need to do any draining / internal cleaning as they gave it a really good clean under GA. She'll be seen again in a week. We have Baytril to give her in case there is something else going on, and to avoid any post-op infections.

Our vet is brilliant in that she doesn't talk down to us - she made it clear that abscesses in rabbits generally don't go away, we'll need to keep an eye on it and most likely it will need further treatment in time. I knew this so it wasn't a surprise.

The biggest surprise was the cost....£85!! :shock:
For an op, aftercare, an overnight stay and an examination this morning! Amazing, I was expecting MUCH more than that. :thumb:

Pleased to hear your bunny is doing well and back home. Was it Antirobe they used in the abscess cavity?

Thanks girls!

She's back home this morning. The vet nurse commented on how moody she gets when she doesn't get her food immediately, so I'm pretty sure she's back to her usual self.:roll: Her and Echo were back to being friends as soon as she got home, so no issues there (Echo doesn't go to the vets with her as he's a car stress-head :roll:).

We've been given hibiscrub to keep the wound opening clean, but we don't need to do any draining / internal cleaning as they gave it a really good clean under GA. She'll be seen again in a week. We have Baytril to give her in case there is something else going on, and to avoid any post-op infections.

Our vet is brilliant in that she doesn't talk down to us - she made it clear that abscesses in rabbits generally don't go away, we'll need to keep an eye on it and most likely it will need further treatment in time. I knew this so it wasn't a surprise.

The biggest surprise was the cost....£85!! :shock:
For an op, aftercare, an overnight stay and an examination this morning! Amazing, I was expecting MUCH more than that. :thumb:

Great news .. good luck with the aftercare :)

Update on Tibbsy....

So, we think the vets just gave her pellets ALL day on Tuesday / Wednesday as she went off her food a bit on Thurs and Friday (cue worrying!). We cut her right back to nothing but hay, grass (she is used to grass) and readigrass just to get some fibre in her and no pellets, treats or fruit. We also think the GA really took it out of her, she did nothing but sleep from Wed - Sunday really.
She perked up over Sunday and in to Monday though, and seemed to be back to feeling more herself.

She had a check-up at the vets yesterday, Louise our vet was VERY pleased with how little weight she lost (apparently GA usually results in weightloss in older buns?), and how well her scar is healing up. She would have liked it to have stayed open a little longer, but was happy with how clean and neat it was. Louise always compliments us on how "capable" we are as bunny owners, which is nice to hear when you've a poorly bunny.
The abscess has not immediately returned (something they have seen before) so it looks more promising. There's really nothing under her skin anymore, so we're hopeful that she'll get away with it for a while before it comes back.

I'm resigned to the fact that it WILL come back at some point, so we're prepared for that.

We just need to support her till she's back to her usual naughty self, at the moment she's not quite the bunny we love. :(

Update on Tibbsy....

So, we think the vets just gave her pellets ALL day on Tuesday / Wednesday as she went off her food a bit on Thurs and Friday (cue worrying!). We cut her right back to nothing but hay, grass (she is used to grass) and readigrass just to get some fibre in her and no pellets, treats or fruit. We also think the GA really took it out of her, she did nothing but sleep from Wed - Sunday really.
She perked up over Sunday and in to Monday though, and seemed to be back to feeling more herself.

She had a check-up at the vets yesterday, Louise our vet was VERY pleased with how little weight she lost (apparently GA usually results in weightloss in older buns?), and how well her scar is healing up. She would have liked it to have stayed open a little longer, but was happy with how clean and neat it was. Louise always compliments us on how "capable" we are as bunny owners, which is nice to hear when you've a poorly bunny.
The abscess has not immediately returned (something they have seen before) so it looks more promising. There's really nothing under her skin anymore, so we're hopeful that she'll get away with it for a while before it comes back.

I'm resigned to the fact that it WILL come back at some point, so we're prepared for that.

We just need to support her till she's back to her usual naughty self, at the moment she's not quite the bunny we love. :(

I had a bunny with an abscess, and it came back once .. then never again! So it's not a forgone conclusion it will come back, and I really hope it's gone forever :)

I had a bunny with an abscess, and it came back once .. then never again! So it's not a forgone conclusion it will come back, and I really hope it's gone forever :)

Oh, that's a bit of good news.
I'm not going to be holding my breath, as these pesky rabbits LOVE to keep us guessing, but it's nice to know that there can be good outcomes.

Hope Tibbsy is recovering.
Molly had an abscess on her jaw ,she required surgery.
It then returned and she had further surgery.
We went to the vets everyday for treating and cleaning.
That was 6 months ago and so far it has not returned.
She has though had trouble with her teeth since not sure if it is linked.
But just happy she is still with us as thought the abscess would keep returning.
Good Luck with Tibbsy.

Awww Tibbsy (lovely name!) :love:

Not had to deal with an abscess yet :shock: *touches all wooden objects in sight*

My Ellie had a huge abscess on her jaw which had reached the bone and following abx at home it has yet to return nearly a year later. :) we were also warned that it may well come back but I'm hoping not for a long time, and I hope the same for you too! Sounds like you're really looking after her well.

Hope Tibbsy is recovering.
Molly had an abscess on her jaw ,she required surgery.
It then returned and she had further surgery.
We went to the vets everyday for treating and cleaning.
That was 6 months ago and so far it has not returned.
She has though had trouble with her teeth since not sure if it is linked.
But just happy she is still with us as thought the abscess would keep returning.
Good Luck with Tibbsy.

My Ellie had a huge abscess on her jaw which had reached the bone and following abx at home it has yet to return nearly a year later. :) we were also warned that it may well come back but I'm hoping not for a long time, and I hope the same for you too! Sounds like you're really looking after her well.

Thanks for the positive stories girls! Tibbsy is back to her normal naughty self today, so must be feeling better. Just have to keep our fingers crossed and a close eye on her jaw!

Back