• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

'Breeding bunnies cured our post-natal depression'

It's unfortunate that it's all focused on breeding rabbits, but I can see how and why rabbits helped their mental health.

Just an opportunistic bid by this pair to publicise their business at Easter. Glad the comments reflect the reality of what they are doing.

Well, they obviously don't care that much about their 'little babies', with the vast amount in rescues desperate for homes, nor do they realise or even appear to care that for the main rabbits aren't even suitable pets for children.

If anything, I would have thought it would aggravate their depression with all the stress you would expect them to encounter through trying to find fantastic 'homes for life', and the worry of where and how they might end up :evil:

Disgusting as well that this has appeared so close to Easter. Well, they will be getting a few choice words from myself via a email. Really can't stand people like this :evil:

So it appears that they supply the 'Pets for Home' stores in their area.

Last edited:
I had a look at their website which seems to advocate 4 ft cages and trancing bunnies to clip their claws too :(

Well, they obviously don't care that much about their 'little babies', with the vast amount in rescues desperate for homes, nor do they realise or even appear to care that for the main rabbits aren't even suitable pets for children.

If anything, I would have thought it would aggravate their depression with all the stress you would expect them to encounter through trying to find fantastic 'homes for life', and the worry of where and how they might end up :evil:

Disgusting as well that this has appeared so close to Easter. Well, they will be getting a few choice words from myself via a email. Really can't stand people like this :evil:

So it appears that they supply the 'Pets for Home' stores in their area.

I agree. I volunteer at a Rabbit Rescue & they have had to close their waiting list temporarily because it's become so extensive and there's just not enough room for all the unwanted buns :cry:

Having read the article what upsets me most is that they have used pictures of what are clearly tiny baby bunnies evidently for the 'cute factor' given that they've set them up in teacups etc. and they have made statements like 'they are only 5 inches long' and 'weigh 3oz'. Which may be true at that exact moment but obviously in a few months people will end up with a 2.5kg fully grown rabbit who while still very cute (obviously) looks nothing like those photos. And the uneducated person may think that what they will have is a cute baby bun forever, and when that isn't the case suddenly lose interest in their bunny.

What occurs to me is why couldn't they have started up a rescue rather than breeding? A bunny is a bunny no matter what age; they always have those 'little eyes' to look up to you, they always need care and attention. There are plenty ways to get involved with rabbits whether they're breeding them or not.

The way they say 'produce them in every colour' makes them sound like they're shoes or purses or something. Like you can buy another one once your old one gets worn out. It shouldn't work like that.

What else is worrying is that someone with clinical or post-natal depression may see that article and think a rabbit is their new cure. Whilst I joke that Amy is my instant anti-depressant, and I sometimes think I might not have survived my teenage years without Pipkin, unless they're trained therapy pets, an animal is not a actual cure or replacement for standard treatment of mental illness.

I'm scared this will end badly. Poor bunnies.

It's unfortunate that it's all focused on breeding rabbits, but I can see how and why rabbits helped their mental health.

This. I just hope that they will be responsible breeders and that they maybe give up after a while and turn to rescuing or some such thing.

If having rabbits helps mental health (which I am sure it does) why breed them?

Rescue rabbits can help your mental health just as much...

Back