• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please reassure me that neutering will stop this behaviour...

Inimical Me

Wise Old Thumper
I'm currently perched on a bookcase with my feet up on a stool because Jasper will try and hump any bit of me he can reach :shock:.

Not only is it driving me mad, but it's actually quite distressing to see him not be able to sit still :cry:. He's been circling and honking and trying to mount the bits of me he can reach for ages. I think he can smell Bea which I don't think is helping.

I don't want to keep him confined as I don't think he's had a lot of exercise in his life, but this behavior stressful for me and him!

We're at the vets tomorrow for a check up, vaccinations and to talk about his possibly undescended testicle. The sooner he can have the snip the better. I don't know how old he is. Hopefully not so old that this has become habit!

I'm a born worrier - please tell me that neutering him will calm him down!

:shock:

When we had first had Reggie, he went crazy when puberty hit. I couldn't go into the kitchen without him trying to, er... Romance my legs... :lol:

I can look on it now and laugh but at the time it certainly was distressing. I haven't had any problems sine he was neutered thank goodness, as he's a biiiiiiiig bunneh. :shock::lol:

Neutering should certainly calm him down, though I think I'm right in saying that the hormones can be around for a couple of weeks post op. Fingers crossed he can go in for his op ASAP!

Lots of luck. :wave:

It is very likely to calm him down. Better for both of you. Good luck. Hope he sails through the op when the time comes. Remember to insist on pain relief to take home.

Neutering should do the trick but you need to get it done asap if you can as some behavioural things like humping can become learned behaviours.:wave:

Thanks everyone. I'm such a worrier, I know that theoretically it will help (and there's no question he's being done) but I worry that he'll be that rarity who is a randy so and so even after castration.

It really is horrible to watch, I honestly don't know how anyone can have an entire male rabbit if they're like this. You can see that he wants to explore, or eat, wash or lie down but he'll suddenly start honking and thumping and circling like he has no control. I suppose those who don't neuter don't pay that much attention to their rabbit either so might not notice :(.

No idea how old he is. He's been here 36 hours and if I could get the vet out of bed to neuter him now I would :lol:. Maybe this was why he was abandoned :evil:. He's very gentle when he's snuffling his way up my leg trying to romance it though bless him :lol:.

We had crazy thumping at 3.30am :roll::lol:. He doesn't thump out of fear, just because he's demanding. Not being allowed to hump my leg... Thump. Not feeding him quickly enough? Thump! Excited to explore a new area? Thump! :lol:

Have you got a fluffy cushion or toy you can give him? This helped out Bobo and Sheldon an awful lot before they got neutered.

It is horrible watching them - we were in two minds with Bobo (we were still new to bunnies then) as we weren't sure about getting another rabbit - but seeing him so frustrated one Sunday morning made up our minds.

I'm going to go to the charity shop and see if I can find him a friend to ease his frustration I think. It really is awful. I can see that he wants to explore but his hormones are driving him to distraction.

In other news he's in excellent health according to the vet, he's had his vaccinations, his teeth are perfect and he's not fat. I thought he was chubby because he's like a fat egg shape but apparently it's muscle :lol:. Booked him in for a neuter tomorrow but just realised I'm busy so it'll have to be Thursday or Tuesday.

Thanks for your replies everyone, I really appreciate reassurance.

Both of my male bunnies were single. My Mum had them neutered not because she planned on getting any females, but because she felt mean leaving them to their hormones. They were both a lot calmer and happier post op.

She used to get quite upset looking after her friend's unspayed doe because it was clear she was so ravaged by hormones. :( Constant nest-building. She tried to explain to her friend how important spaying was, but said friend didn't listen.:(

Both of my male bunnies were single. My Mum had them neutered not because she planned on getting any females, but because she felt mean leaving them to their hormones. They were both a lot calmer and happier post op.

She used to get quite upset looking after her friend's unspayed doe because it was clear she was so ravaged by hormones. :( Constant nest-building. She tried to explain to her friend how important spaying was, but said friend didn't listen.:(

I don't know how anyone can watch it and not feel bad. Obviously I was aware what hormonal bunnies are like, but having not experienced it myself I didn't realise that it would be so unpleasant to witness how stressed it makes them.

Funnily enough he's been much better since his visit to the vet yesterday. The bus journey there and back (plus quite a long walk to and from the bus stop) seem to have frightened the hormones out of him. I was able to actually sit on the floor with him yesterday without him terrorising me :lol::lol::lol:, he seems much happier. He's so gorgeous when he's not being hormonal, like no other rabbit I've had (very vocal too) and I'm in love :love:.

He's being neutered on Thursday now, might as well get it over and done with :lol:. He's been with me since Sunday and the poor thing will have had 2 visits to the vets in under a week :lol:.

Back