• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Preparing for the inevitable :(

dbowes

Warren Scout
Hi,

Unfortunately our Jessica was diagnosed with particularly bad arthritis. She has been on metacam for a while now and has been coping. She took a turn for the worse the other day and was rushed to the vets but this may have been just a case of bloat as she has returned to how she was. She is very thin but we are trying our best to fatten her up. She is coming up 4 so not that old.

She still has her appetite and still likes to groom Jaspy but the vet is concerned and has hinted that we need to think about the best course of action. She sits hunched a lot and doesn't lie down anymore and the vet says she must be in discomfort. I know rabbits hide how poorly they really are but she still has that little spark in her when the treat box is opened and while she is like that there is obviously no decision to make.

When the time comes, I want to know what is best for a bonded pair? They are very much in love which is obviously going to make any decision much harder. I've read that you should leave them together so the other one has chance to accept and grieve, is this correct? I'm not sure how we can do this if we are taking her to be put to sleep. Should we take Jaspy with her and bring him home on his own so he knows she is gone? :(

I'm asking the question now as I want to be ready and not sure what state of mind I'll be in at the time but still hoping it is a little way off yet.

Thanks

Dan

I can't answer your question but I wanted to reply to let you know that I am thinking of you. I know how hard it is to make that decision.

So sorry for your rabbit, and you of course. I have had many rabbits "go" in their hutch together with their partner and many pts on their own at the Vets, leaving them there, and I really can't say I have noticed any difference. Some bunnies carry on as normal not seeming to miss their friend, a few noticeably miss them, but in every case the bereaved bunny pulls through. Only one nearly died but 2 sisters took him under their wings and he came through it. He absolutely was besotted by his wifebun and stopped eating when she died. But I think this is the exception rather than the rule.

I hope everything goes well in the future.

So sorry for your rabbit, and you of course. I have had many rabbits "go" in their hutch together with their partner and many pts on their own at the Vets, leaving them there, and I really can't say I have noticed any difference. Some bunnies carry on as normal not seeming to miss their friend, a few noticeably miss them, but in every case the bereaved bunny pulls through. Only one nearly died but 2 sisters took him under their wings and he came through it. He absolutely was besotted by his wifebun and stopped eating when she died. But I think this is the exception rather than the rule.

I hope everything goes well in the future.

Thank you. I suppose it is the better way round, not that I have a favourite. Jessica completely dotes on Jaspy, always wedging her head into him and constantly grooming him. I think she would miss him more than the other way round. He is very docile so more likely to get on with it but who knows.

Back