• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing a new bunny

hi, :wave:
This is my 1st post and unsure if this will get read, I am after some advice I have had my bunny since November 2013 for a birthday present from my partner never had a pet before and I am learning as I go, I am worried about getting her spaded because of the risk of her dying, i am aware that she can get cancer and die that way that's why i am looking for getting her a new bunny but she is a indoor bunny and been with me and my partner on her own since November and i am concerned on how to get them introduced and if my bunny will expect a male bunny with her, she has a indoor custom built hutch and she is out all the time and in our living room and me and my partner play with her and we are like her family but would another bunny be excepted with her. i am looking on the pdsa for a neutered male rabbit.
thank you for reading my post and any help will be so helpful.
kind regards
annmarie.x

Hi annmarie. If female rabbits aren't spayed they usually get very broody when living with a male partner and the boy can't mate with her and she can get frustrated with him. So it's best the female is neutered. I have had lots spayed and have had no problems but try to find a rabbit savvy vet. You can start a thread asking for the location of one if you let us know where you are.

Rabbits are usually much happier when they have a partner as they can spend lots of time alone if they haven't got one and they can get bored much quicker.

You would have to introduce your rabbit and her friend in a neutral area, somewhere she hasn't been before as females tend to be more territorial than males and she would want to defend her territory rather than bond with him.

During bonding time you would have to neutralise her hutch and any toys etc to take her smell away and you can do this by using 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water.

Hello and welcome :wave:

Half typed a reply and then saw Tonibun had replied :)

Just to add, if you're not comfortable bonding, your local rescue may be able to do it for you but the neutralizing of existing space would still apply

:) just to add... Our Missy was a nightmare mithering Mister before we got her spayed. Poor Mister was neutered so he wasn't interested, but she was relentless. Pestering him to mount her ALL the time! I could not imagine either of them being happy if we'd not got her done. She was getting frustrated cause he wasn't satisfying her; and he was getting annoyed because she just wouldn't give up. Not nice for either of them.

I was really worried about getting her spayed as she was my first female pet to get done, and we all know how much more invasive the op is for a girl. What I did was to have a pre-op appointment with the vets to ask 101 questions about the op to satisfy myself that my chosen vets are rabbit savy.

Hello and welcome. If you could tell us where you live there maybe someone who can recommend a bunny savvy vet to you for spaying your girlie. A lot of rescues will carry out the bonding for you if they have a potential husbun for your girl - again we can point you in the right direction depending where you live.

thank you for all ur responces. I live in cornwall. wil take all ur advice on board and do more research but thank you again.xx

Back