• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunny is getting castrated, is there anything I need?

Hi, My Bunny is getting castrated tomorrow, is there anything I need for him. I have a male guinea-pig in the same cage as him, the cage is quite big so we've separated them by dividing the cage in half using metal mesh. Do I need to give him certain foods and certain amounts? I don't know, he is my first bunny and as I go along, I'm learning more about them. I literally have 18 hours and 30 minutes and counting, to go to pets at home or another pet shop and my car is still getting fixed. Please help!!! He goes to the vets at 8:45 am and we need to be there 5- 10 minutes early to book us in and what not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello

Firstly, Rabbits and Guinea Pigs should not be housed together. This is because they have different dietary requirements, a Rabbit could accidently cause a serious injury to a much smaller Guinea Pig and also Rabbits can carry a bacteria in their Respiratory Tract (Bordetella) which may not cause them any problems but it can be FATAL to Guinea Pigs. Both species are best kept with companions of their own kind :)

After castration your Rabbit should be eating pooing and passing urine before he is discharged home. Once home he will need to be kept indoors overnight as he may not be able to regulate his body temperature after a GA. You can provide him with his usual foods and of course fresh water. You will need to check his surgical wound twice a day to make sure that it is healing well and that there is not too much swelling/bruising. Your Vet will hopefully prescribe a few days of Metacam, a non steroidal anti-inflammatory. This should help him to feel more comfortable. Over the first 24 hours after surgery he may be quieter than normal and not eating quite as much. This is OK as long as there is some food going in and poo coming out. Bucks are usually back to their normal selves within about 36-48 hours after surgery. Try not to let him do any jumping around for a few days to allow his wound to heal.

He will remain fertile for up to 6 weeks after castration, so should you obtain an unspayed female Rabbit it is essential that he is kept well away from her to avoid the risk of an 'accidental litter'.

After castration your Rabbit should be eating pooing and passing urine before he is discharged home. Once home he will need to be kept indoors overnight as he may not be able to regulate his body temperature after a GA. You can provide him with his usual foods and of course fresh water. You will need to check his surgical wound twice a day to make sure that it is healing well and that there is not too much swelling/bruising. Your Vet will hopefully prescribe a few days of Metacam, a non steroidal anti-inflammatory. This should help him to feel more comfortable. Over the first 24 hours after surgery he may be quieter than normal and not eating quite as much. This is OK as long as there is some food going in and poo coming out. Bucks are usually back to their normal selves within about 36-48 hours after surgery. Try not to let him do any jumping around for a few days to allow his wound to heal.

this :thumb: make sure to get some of his favourite foods and treats in to tempt him. also get some ribena to mix with his medicine so it taste better :lol: good luck:thumb:

Back