• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OMG I'm having a nightmare with one of my buns! Any advise??

Gemboj

Young Bun
Me again! I have a pair and the husband is becoming increasingly difficult to pick up when I transfer him to his grass run and back again! He really goes mad and rspca advised they can beak there back? Well he is going to if he carries on, the wife is great she is really calm like she understands I'm doing something good!
Not him though what do I do??? I have to pick him up to transfer him from his Wendy house and run on concrete to let him have grass! He ran off today too and hid in the hedge at the bottom of the garden! Took me ages get him! Feel pretty fed up all I'm trying to do is make him happy!

Can you put something down for him to get into? My Norris hated being caught, but he would hop into a carrier on his own which he found much less stressful.

A lot of people use pet carrier to move their buns around
I'm currently trying to train mine to do that - one is picking it up really easily and after he's hopped on to of it, will usually hop in if there's a treat inside
Other associates it with the V.E.T. and won't go near it
Hope it works for your bun

Otherwise maybe a runaround tunnel?

Could you not coax him into a carrier instead? At least that way he won't risk being hurt or dropped.

Most rabbits hate being picked up. nly one of my buns lets me pick him up without struggling or trying to bite me. :lol: I just try to avoid it completely.

If you have to pick him up rather than use a carrier, you need to get right down, scoop him into your chest and hold him snuggled tight into you so that his legs aren't dangling, he feels secure, and he can't suddenly try to jump away from you/down and hurt himself. Sorry if that's what you already do!

I was doing something similar couple of years ago with my bunny Bumble moving her from one place to another for day and night she is terrified of being picked up gets in a right state. I did once try to train her slowly but every time we got to touching her back legs she'd know. Personally I don't think Bumble would ever be trained to like it and I thought I can't continue this she gets stressed all the time and it took me ages to catch her. The only answer to me was to just have her in once place the whole time like make the run accessable from the wendyhouse or whatever your set up is because she would lose trust in me too. Bumble was no better with a carrier and still isn't.

Back