• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Injured Rabbit

Nrabbit

New Kit
Hello,
My husband was driving last night and hit a rabbit. He stopped and picked him up. We are keeping him/her in a large container (tote) with holes. We are feeding him kale which he is eating. One of his/her eyes are injured and has some blood there. We kept him overnight but not sure what to do with him. Will his eye heal on its own. No matter what I don't think he will regain eyesight in it. Just trying to figure out what to do. We were thinking of keeping him because we didn't think he would survive well in the wild with one eye. What do you think?

He needs to see a vet immediately. He could be in immense pain and it isn't fair to keep him.

The vets won't charge you if its a wild animal but will likely put him to sleep. To be honest I think that would be the kindest thing. Keeping a wild bunny in my opinion would be cruel. He is likely to be terrified at being taken from his surroundings and so I doubt he will last much longer anyway.

Please take him to a vet and don't let him suffer.

I would take him to a vet to check him over. Rabbits are prey animals to other animals and therefore hide their illness so not to appear weak to predators.

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

I agree, he definitely needs to be taken to a vets :( if being PTS is what needs to be done then it's for the best - he won't be suffering then

Your husband is a lovely man for stopping - most people wouldn't even think of doing that for a wild rabbit, there needs to be a few more people in the world like him! :)

Aww that's good the bunny is going to a wildlife rehab place :)

we found an injured juvenile blackbird last year ( a cat caught her )
we took her to hessilhead and she was rehabilitated there.
you can keep updated on buns progress if you like im sure :)

Back