• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby ducks for William (and anyone else who wants to look)

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
I'll try and keep this updated as the duckies grow up. These are the photos from the last few weeks from the first time I saw them. They've already grown a lot. I see them on my way to work and I'm trying to take at least one picture a week.

20140314_085632_zps1qmomhna.jpg

20140325_085358_zpsnaxjqqcr.jpg

20140331_085250_zps09nut3fh.jpg

20140331_085257_zpsjjqkpwin.jpg

20140331_085309_zps6xai2i6a.jpg

20140408_173212_zpso9vy4u2i.jpg

And today they were having a swim. :)

20140411_084759_zpsx5gmyml9.jpg

What cute ducklings and I love the parents coloration! :love: Looks like they've got a really nice place there too!

I'd love to see some shelducks here - I know we've got feral populations of Egyptian geese that are often seen on golf courses and in canals and such but I can't recall ever seeing any. I need to go bird watching outside of my yard!:lol:

I love ducklings! We have a huge pond at work and every year I take zillions of photos of the ducklings in my lunch break :oops::lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More duckies. When we lived in the country and they hatched in our garden and were toddling off down to the pond behind mum after we had had to rescue them all off a rockery in our garden. Handling a fluffy chick is gorgeous.

They are Goslings not Ducklings!! :lol:

Beautiful! Egyptian geese are fantastic. You are lucky to have them near you.. do you live near Norfolk by any chance?

Beautiful! Egyptian geese are fantastic. You are lucky to have them near you.. do you live near Norfolk by any chance?

Yep, I'm in Norfolk. :) And Egyptian geese are actually ducks, not geese. ;) Although I'm not really sure what the difference between a duck and a goose is...

I love this pair. For ages I could only see one and I was really upset thinking his partner had died, but of course she was on the nest. :)

But since they're shelducks, not actually geese, wouldn't they be called ducklings? Granted, they're not ducks either, but I think Egyptian geese breeders I've seen on another forum call the babies ducklings.

But since they're shelducks, not actually geese, wouldn't they be called ducklings? Granted, they're not ducks either, but I think Egyptian geese breeders I've seen on another forum call the babies ducklings.

Ooooh, I never knew they were a type of shelduck!! I've always thought they were actual geese, but now you mention shelducks, it is obvious. We don't get them here, the only place they are "wild" (although I believe they are classed as feral?) is in Norfolk, hence why I asked. :lol: Funnily enough we've had an Egyptian goose hanging around our reserve recently but I never got round to seeing it. :( I've only seen them at the Broads and remember being pretty fascinated with them. Those and the great crested grebes. :love:

You are so lucky living in Norfolk, Jenova. The birds there are amazing. I have no idea what the technical difference of geese and ducks are..I'm sure somebody else does, though!

They are gorgeous :love: I saw some of these at a pond/lake the other day and wondered what they were - I live down south though, so quite a way from you.

Ooooh, I never knew they were a type of shelduck!! I've always thought they were actual geese, but now you mention shelducks, it is obvious. We don't get them here, the only place they are "wild" (although I believe they are classed as feral?) is in Norfolk, hence why I asked. :lol: Funnily enough we've had an Egyptian goose hanging around our reserve recently but I never got round to seeing it. :( I've only seen them at the Broads and remember being pretty fascinated with them. Those and the great crested grebes. :love:

You are so lucky living in Norfolk, Jenova. The birds there are amazing. I have no idea what the technical difference of geese and ducks are..I'm sure somebody else does, though!

I believe they are classed as feral here. I love living in Norfolk, I love the environment and wildlife. I mean this is my walk to work!
I couldn't get a good shot of the ducklings yesterday as someone was feeding the bread :)() he was on the other side of the river though so I couldn't say anything. But mum or dad was standing guard on this side.

20140414_084926_zpsdatsrcin.jpg

Back