• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can buns have too much clover and dandelion?

Karen's

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,
Now spring has sprung I've gradually increased my buns intake of fresh grass, and clover and dandelion along with it, my 'lawn' being more of clover/dandelion patch than grass! :oops:
I know grass is fine, but can they have too much clover and dandelion?
Other than this they basically just get hay and a tablespoon of pellets twice a day, and a bit of mixed veg in the evening.
Thanks for any advice :thumb:

Not sure about clover but I think dandelion can be a dieuretic (sp?) so yes, I'd limit the intake. Don't know if they can have clover at all.

Clovers can cause colic or bloat in most ruminants are are a big factor in sheep bloat. I would go very easy on these especially the mauve flowering clover. Dandelions are diuretic and high in calcium but really no issue for a healthy bun

They can eat clover but someone suggested the other week that it is high in calcium.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gave Smudge and Willow a bunch of fresh dandelion yesterday and today he is very subdued... Everytime I give him greens in any shape or form, it seems to upset his delicate tummy...

fee x

I gave Smudge and Willow a bunch of fresh dandelion yesterday and today he is very subdued... Everytime I give him greens in any shape or form, it seems to upset his delicate tummy...

fee x

How many leaves is a bunch? As dandelions are a diuretic, if it was too many esp if they hadnt had any for a while could be a shock on their system perhaps???

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

Is it just dandelion leaves or the flower part as well?

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

Hmm, yesterday I gave them around 6 leaves each.. They werent huge leaves, just big enough for a few noms.....

Thats rather peculiar. That anount should not have caused any problem.

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

smudge, bless him, is an enigma.. any amount of veg, herbs or greens at all give him either runny poops or a sore tummy...

Thanks for the responses, I'll take it easy on the clover in future, and try not to overdo the dandelions, it's just when everything springs forth I can't help myself! And obviously with the bunnies bring completely starving all the time.... Their little faces looking at me.... Well maybe just a couple of dandelion leaves for bedtime :lol:

Thanks for the responses, I'll take it easy on the clover in future, and try not to overdo the dandelions, it's just when everything springs forth I can't help myself! And obviously with the bunnies bring completely starving all the time.... Their little faces looking at me.... Well maybe just a couple of dandelion leaves for bedtime :lol:

Thank goodness its not only my two who seem to be constantly starving :roll: :lol:

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

how much clover and dandelion is too much? and how frequent? i have a sensitive tummy bun, but clover and dandelion she adores and so obviously it helps her not go into stasis as she eats it, but also dont want her to go into bloat or calcium deposition if im giving her too much?!?

Eek I'm worried I'm feeding my three too much dandelion, they probably have 7 medium sized leaves and about four flowers a day. Is this too much?

That amount is probably fine. If you're worried, just spread it throughout the day. I did read (in the RWF handbook) that combining dandelion with more astringent plants reduces the diuretic effect. So generally try to feed a variety of plants at the same time.

A bowlful is probably what 'too much' means. You should be able to tell if there's a problem i.e. you'd start seeing sticky bottoms.

They can have dandelion roots as well (you can buy these dried).

Ludo eats loads of dandelion, he seems fine with them. He has leaves and flowers.

It really seems to keep his tummy going and they're the only thing he'll eat when he feels poorly.

Back