• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lump on shoulder

toystory

Young Bun
Hi everyone.
Was wondering if you could help.
Cleaned out the rabbits tonight and everything fine. Gave them a strawberry and apple chew stick.
Now ive noticed Woody has a lump at the top of his right shoulder.
Any ideas what this could be?
Worried sick now :(

Impossible to say without being able to either see it or feel it !!

It could be an abscess, a 'fatty lump', a tumour..............

Can you post a photo of it ?

Is it moveable? I.e. Does it move with the skin if you wiggle it about a bit? If it does then it's more likely to be a fatty or benign lump, but it's probably best to get it checked out :)

Its small and feels soft, when I move it or gently press on it he doesnt seem to be in any discomfort?
tyqe2ymy.jpg
ana2ybed.jpg

Is the lump where his shoulder is on that picture? I can't decide if his shoulder is the lump! :) he is absolutely gorgeous btw! :)
If that shoulder lump is that big I would definitely get him to the vets for a check. If it's just a little pea sized lump it's more likely a little fatty blob or maybe even a lymph node (sometimes you can feel them round there)
I'd definitely nip him to the vets, he's a cutie!

We have a vet appointment this afternoon with him and his brother. They're both adorable bunnies! I am worried though as Buzz is getting much bigger and his fur is less fluffy as he's grown compared to Woody and I don't know if this lump may have anything to do with it or whether its just their genes as they're both mixed breed rabbits.
So getting vaccinated and health check tonight :) fingers crossed all is okay.

Thanks everyone :)
Buzz had his check up and vaccination. Woody was checked over and is back at the vets tonight as the vet we seen wants him to be checked ober by another vet whos more experienced with rabbits. She said it feels like a cyst but we will see tonight what the plan of action is and if he can have his vaccine.
Buzz was not too happy and we had a bit of thumping in his box but a few pellets and treat later in the garden they seemed okay :)
So hopefully will have a bit more information tonight and I will also ask the other vet tonight to just check over Buzz again to make sure everything is okay.
Bit peeved the receptionist had booked us in with the vet who is not as rabbit savvy. But they havent charged us for the check on Woody yesterday so that's something.
Hopefully good vibes will help and all will be okay.

Just to update. Woody has to have a small operation to remove the lump so im also having them both neutered at the same time so they are going through things together.
Booked in for next week so keeping an eye on things the minute as Woody has had some antibiotics as well to see if that helps any. Hopefully both bunnies will be okay :)

Both boys went to the vets this morning to be neutered.
Vet called and said he was unable to do the neutering due to time under anesthetic as Woody has a mass of small lumps which has resulted in this one big lump.
Vet is removing as much as he can and sending samples to the lab to see what is causing the lumps.
Both boys are in overnight at the vets for observation and im feeling lost already. :(
Not sure what to make of it, but vet said in worse case scenario if lumps keep reappearing or Woody has the pasteurella virus then the best thing for him may be for him to be PTS :'( In which case il be utterly heartbroken. I miss his licks and nose bumps already!

Oh dear :( Really hope the test results come back ok. Sending lots of vibes for your handsome boy :love::love: Oh and a few (((hugs))) for his mum xxx

Oh I'm sorry to hear it's not better news :( I had a pasteurella bunny who lived to be about 8 years old so a rabbit which is carrying pasteurella is definitely not something I would consider pts for. There are loads of different treatment options but there shouldn't really be any reason why the little one can't go on to live a long and happy life. Especially if he is still a youngster so there might be a good chance it hasn't got too invasive yet.

Did the vet say how long it would be before you get results from the lab? Depending on what they say and what the prognosis might be, I would definitely recommend getting a second opinion from a different vets before even considering pts. Fingers crossed it's nothing too serious, doesn't recur and Woody can be safely neutered soon.

I am so sorry to hear this. I agree with Santa though that rabbits with pasturella can have good quality of life so long as the disease is managed. I have three bunnies with pasturella and they are all doing extremely well. The lumps could be quite innocent, fatty lipomas can occur spontaneously and cluster together. They are usually benign and only really removed if they inhibit the rabbit in any way. I hope the test results come back negative xx

Thanks everyone.
Im hoping it's all going to be okay. Buzz is keeping Woody company at their overnight stay at the vets. I just dont want many repeated surgeries of lump removal etc. Its grown a great deal in the last week and the antibiotics he was given didnt seem to do much if at all.
The cost I dont mind so much as undue stress and surgeries for him. Hes my baby and I love them both to bits. Seems very weird not having them here playing about.
The vet said it shouldn't be too long coming back if they dont have much else on as well as keeping an eye on him in aftercare appointments.
im collecting them tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Gorgeous boy :love:

I hope you get some answers soon, please keep us updated :D

There are SO many lovely knowledgeable people on here to turn to for advice :thumb::love:

Hi all. Both boys are back home now, keeping them indoors for now in the spare room next door to our bedroom so we can keep a close eye on them. Luckily the OH is off uni at the minute so he can monitor Woody during the day when im at work. He's feeling very sorry for himself but he's a little trooper. Eating and drinking well and having little bouts of energy where he'll have a wander round and nibble at his cardboard box dens. But this is the first time ive seen him fully lay out and bunny flop so he's a tired little bun.
Vet got all the lumps out and they're being sent off for analysis to see what's causing them.
Glad they have each other to keep each other going.
Here's Woody, my poor boy.
jy7u5a8y.jpg

And here's the evil area :(
gaqa9use.jpg

ydy3apav.jpg

Back